Discuss HELP! Preparing Plaster Walls for Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stef2454

Please Help! I am refurbishing my new house and have just ripped out my old bathroom. It has a toilet, wash basin, bath and a separate shower cubicle. I have stripped off all of the old tiles and carpet off the floor and have been left with bare plaster walls around the majority of the bathroom, except for along one wall where there was a plasterboard wall hiding some pipework. When taking the tiles off the plasterboard wall most of the plaster came off with it so i have replaced the whole lot with brand new 12.5mm plasterboard. This has left me with bare plaster walls and one half of one wall with bare plasterboard.

I have read in other threads that it is ok to tile straight onto plasterboard (the tiles i have bought are not that heavy) but where i need help is with the priming/tanking..... I have read lots (and got myself thoroughly confused!) and enough to know that i should throw out that pot of PVA and not use unless i want my tiles to fall off. So my question is this.....

What do i do to prepare my walls for tiling to give the adhesive something to stick to and waterproof my walls?

Also, what can I use to prepare the floor before i tile that too?? (it is a chipboard floor)

As i understand it i should use something like a BAL primer on the plaster and plasterboard walls????? as these will get moist/damp and have very little direct contact with running water and i should tank (completely waterproof??) the walls in the separate shower cubicle as these are most likely to get wet??

I have also read that most professional primers/tanking agents suggest using a certain type of adhesive and/or their own brand. Is this just the usual manufacturing advice to make you buy their adhesive too or can i use the big tubs of 'Dunlop Waterproof Wall Tile Adhesive' that i bought?

Is this sensible or have i got it wrong? Can anyone suggest a clear route and then suggest what products to buy? this is the first of two bathrooms i'm doing and want to get it right!!

Thank you so much for any advice and i look forward to hearing your suggestions.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to HELP! Preparing Plaster Walls for Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
HELP! Preparing Plaster Walls for Tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.