Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Help required - Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All,

I have tiled an en-suite floor and subsequently a line of tiles have cracked. I have lifted these tiles and noticed that the crack line follows a join in the ply sheets underneath (which has a 2mm gap between the pieces). I noticed (and said to the owners) that there was a bow in the floor when I tiled it across the area where the crack has appeared.

The door to the en-suite was removed prior to tiling and cut to clear the tiled floor - this door was scraping across the tiles before I lifted the cracked ones.

I use BAL rapidset flexible and BAL superflex wide joint grout on top of Ply.

I have previously tiled the kitchen and utility room floors using the same materials and the door between them was cut to clear the tiles again and has no problems.

This all leads me to believe that the floor is expanding with the heat and humidity.

This is the first time this has happened to me and I am looking for help in identifying/confirming the problem and a solution to fixing the replacement tiles back down without it happening again.

Any help would be great :)

Cheers
Broughty Tiler

D

david campbell

I believe it is only 6mm ply as it had to be level with a solid wooden floor in the bedroom.

no use whatsover for tiling unfortunately,it would probably have sucked the moisture out to quickly,to keep the height down you should have removed the floorboards/t@g and replaced with 25mm ply and extra noggins if the floor wasn't stable enough,if it was you could have used 6mm cement boards

Reply to Help required - Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Broughty Ferry, Dundee

Thread Information

Title
Help required - Please!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.