Discuss HELP !! Tiling on a fresh chap - cement-water for past dries too fast in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

werner

Re: HELP !! Tiling on a fresh chap - cement-water for past dries too f

<----- Where I'm living is wroten at the side: "French Guiana", and I told already in my greeting thread, see also the name of the fotos
http://www.tilersforums.com/new-members-say-hi-here/63009-hello-2.html#post639991

I dont speak good enough english for I understand: what is 'plasticiser' ??? what means "washing up liquid in the slurry" ? Perhaps someone could explain me that a little better, what material to use, and how to do the work.

When I take a work directly from the house owner, then I tell the owner what he has to buy, f.ex. paste . But when one works for an intermediady, for loan, then the intermediary want to economize, specially he don't want to spend money for paste but orders to use cement. Certain kind of tiles don't paste good with cement, others paste but the cement-water mixture dries so fast that one don't have time to put the tile (that was what happened in the case explained above). In this second case, I have to learn what to do. Because, earlier, the tilers also used water, cement, sand and perhaps something else, but paste still didn't exist.

W

werner

"If we say use plasticiser then you will say the client wont pay for it and we go around in circles" It's depending on the price. We considered to add or use paste/colle, that would be expensiv, so that should buy anyway the owner, or intermediary, but exactly this money any boss don't want to spend, thus, the employe should spend it for buy that, or material in general what the owner/boss don't want to buy ??? Use cugar to delay hardening, is suficient one spoon por bag cement, that's cheap, however, I dont know if this is the best solution. I don't know what exactly is 'plasticiser' to use for that, and how much I need, and what's the price, but I'll try to find out this.

This post is incredible and my response is not to disrespect Werner.
A guy asking a uk tilers forum for advice on tiling who lives on the other side of the world, Has taken tilersforum.co.uk to a whole new level on giving advice.
Having worken in Guiana not (french Guiana) I have a idea of what these people have to endure, and the resorcess they have.
Im sorry I have nothing constructive to offer Werner about his problems with his tiling but love the fact that other members do.
I really wish Werner all the best in overcoming his tiling problems.

J

jonnyc

This post is incredible and my response is not to disrespect Werner.
A guy asking a uk tilers forum for advice on tiling who lives on the other side of the world, Has taken tilersforum.co.uk to a whole new level on giving advice.
Having worken in Guiana not (french Guiana) I have a idea of what these people have to endure, and the resorcess they have.
Im sorry I have nothing constructive to offer Werner about his problems with his tiling but love the fact that other members do.
I really wish Werner all the best in overcoming his tiling problems.
What work did you do in Guiana?
i always interested in things like this

was that part of your naval duties!!
who was footing the bill for that.
not having a go , just genuinely interested.
i ahve heard the fishing is exceptional there

Not sure about the fishing jonny but used to drink like one back then.
Anyone with a previous trade were asked if they would like to spend a few weeks working on shore rather than drug patrolling off the coast.
As for who foot's the bill Its always the taxpayers. This worked out cheap when you consider that the royal navy would pay over £500 for a old fashioned type telephone used onboard or $135 for a stainless steel bolt used on the phalanx gun, over 200 used to bolt the gun down to the Million$ deck mount, god knows what the actual gun cost. These are a few of the prices i remember and bear in mind this was 1992. Makes me cringe what the navy are prepared to pay.

W

werner

I came closer to the solution.

Three days ago, I and my helper we made a chap/screed , 48 m², and next day we tiled that.

This time,
/ we made wet the chap (during the night it had dried a little)
/ we made the babotine more wet - we put fewer cement into the water - so that the level increased by appr. the half
/ we put paste/colle in, the 8th part of the cement
/ we put that not cup por cup, but directly button por putton, and painted it quickly over that wider space, using a paint with 10 mm teeths

Wth this, we had not the problem, that it dried so fast that we couldn't paint it, nor put tiles over. It started to become harder after appr. 1 min and we had appr. 5 min. time for put the tiles.

Now, I don't know which of the said alterations gave the good result, but I think, make thinner the barbotine and put it bucketwhise

Hope that info is useful for someone with the same problem

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to HELP !! Tiling on a fresh chap - cement-water for past dries too fast in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB