Discuss Help, window out of plane / Bal adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

geordie13

Hi there,

I'm a DIYer tiling my bathroom and find that the window is jutting proud of the rest of the wall. To the left and top & bottom centres it is 3 - 4 mm out, but to the right and rh bottom, it is 10 - 12 mm out.

My first thought was to take the angle iron off the window and cut the plaster back to the line of the wall. Messy, time consuming and I would only be going back 3 - 4 mm.

Looking at the floor adhesive, it can be laid in beds up to 20mm. Could I but a thick bed on the wall and fill the gaps when tiling? If I do this would it be better to fill the hole with adhesive first to give a reasonably flat surface for tiling?

Also, would it be better fitting a row of tiles at a time and allowing the adhesive to set before fitting the next row?

The tiles are ceramic 60 * 30 cm.

The local supplier stocks Ultra Profix would this do the job.

I see from the forums that Bal is the adhesive of choice. Why? Is it easier to work, does it grip the tile better. I live in the sticks and the nearest stockist is some 45miles away, so using the Ultra would be easier, but would the Bal be advisable?

Thank you, Ed

T

Tats

20mm on the floor is not 20mm on the wall I'm afraid and there is no adhesive out there that will cope with 20mm on the wall. I suggest you look at sorting the wall out prior to tiling for example you could dot and dab plasterboard over the wall first to make it flat.
This obviously depends on what is on the wall right now. you could also bond the wall out andnthen skim over the top personally I'd go with dot and dab plasterboard, also if it's in a wet area you will want to tank the plasterboard once fixed. Therebare plenty of choices for tanking out there.

As far as addy choice this is a preference and although some are better than other most comply with bs standards make sure you use a single part flexible adhesive what ever brand of addy you go for unless the walls are solid ie brick/block work then a standard ctf will be ok with the ceramics.

D

DHTiling

Hi there,

I'm a DIYer tiling my bathroom and find that the window is jutting proud of the rest of the wall. To the left and top & bottom centres it is 3 - 4 mm out, but to the right and rh bottom, it is 10 - 12 mm out.

My first thought was to take the angle iron off the window and cut the plaster back to the line of the wall. Messy, time consuming and I would only be going back 3 - 4 mm.

Looking at the floor adhesive, it can be laid in beds up to 20mm. Could I but a thick bed on the wall and fill the gaps when tiling? If I do this would it be better to fill the hole with adhesive first to give a reasonably flat surface for tiling?

Also, would it be better fitting a row of tiles at a time and allowing the adhesive to set before fitting the next row?

The tiles are ceramic 60 * 30 cm.

The local supplier stocks Ultra Profix would this do the job.

I see from the forums that Bal is the adhesive of choice. Why? Is it easier to work, does it grip the tile better. I live in the sticks and the nearest stockist is some 45miles away, so using the Ultra would be easier, but would the Bal be advisable?

Thank you, Ed

Just to say Tats, Stone fix adhesives do 20mm in one bite.... but not that i condone this on walls.. ffs..

G

geordie13

Thanks again guys, not been too good the past 2 days, a touch of the runs; England getting tanked in Ireland and the Toon at Stoke.

Yes Stewart, the house is a kit build with a brick skin. Everywhere else seems to be sound except for this window. By taking the angle irons off and levelling the front of the window to the wall I can get 4 - 5mm which will sort about 2 thirds of the wall. One side of the window drops away about 1cm in 10cms, so I am still going to left with an 8 - 10mm gap. Looks like I am going to have to reboard this section.

Thanks, Ed

T

Tats

I mention it because there adhesives will do it..?? Simple as that..

An adhesive that does 20mm is wall or floor.. isn't it..? So yes i mention it coz it does it..:) and not pin pointing one adhesive from them ,coz they all do 20mm..:lol:

Have checked with stone fix today and 20mm for the floor only as I thought they do not recommend using their products at this thickness on a wall just in case anybody reading this thought they could do it.

Reply to Help, window out of plane / Bal adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help, window out of plane / Bal adhesive
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.