Discuss Help, window out of plane / Bal adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

To be honest the OP said he only need to sort out a 10-12mm difference and I kinder thought he was talking about leveling the wall out with adhesive waiting for it set them carry on tiling as normal, but I could be wrong.

By the way OP, you say you noticed the floor adhesive could go to 20mm which would of course suggest it is a cement based adhesive as it should be, but that kinda implies the wall tile adhesive is not and that means it may be a ready mixed tub adhesive. You then go on to say the wall tiles are 60x30, If you wall tile adhesive is ready mixed then i'm afraid it is not suitable for those sized tiles

G

geordie13

CR If i take the window angle irons off and level the window front to the bulk of the wall, I am probably going to be left with a 6 - 10 mm hollow in the worst corner. Did wonder about using the floor adhesive to build it up, before applying the tile with a 2nd layer of adhesive.

You are right in that the wall adhesive supplied with the tiles is a tub adhesive. I wondered about this and asked the guy who supplied it and he assured me that it was ok, He seemed to know quite a bit about tiling, but I.m no expert. The adhesive he supplied was Profix for ceramic wall tiles. Is this definitely unsuitable or is it personnel preference?

C

Colour Republic

You are right in that the wall adhesive supplied with the tiles is a tub adhesive. I wondered about this and asked the guy who supplied it and he assured me that it was ok, He seemed to know quite a bit about tiling, but I.m no expert. The adhesive he supplied was Profix for ceramic wall tiles. Is this definitely unsuitable or is it personnel preference?

unsuitable without a doubt.

maximum with tubbed adhesive is 300x300 and even then most on here wouldn't go that big with tubbed, in fact most wouldn't go with a tubbed ahesive in a bathroom but that bit is personal preference.

Take the adhesive back, poke the guy in the eye and smash a tile on his head then maybe next time he will remember not to give out duff information

C

Colour Republic

No problem.

You say the wall is stud work so I would advise you go for a flexible cement based adhesive.

Just one more thing how thick are these tiles and what substrate are you fixing to? is it plaster skim? there are weight issues to be taken in to account with certain heavy tiles

It would be helpful if you could weigh a tile

Sorry to throw something else in to the mix but it's best that these tiles stay on the wall i'm sure you'll agree:thumbsup:

G

geordie13

The substrate is plasterboard, not skimmed. I am doing two rooms, in one the tiles are 450 * 300 and the others are 600 * 300. The pack of the first tile weighs 28 kgs and holds 12 tiles, so they should be 2.33 kg each. The larger tiles are 26kgs for 8 tiles, 3.25 kg each.

The tiles came from different suppliers and both are adamant that the tub is OK. As you say, its bad enough fixing them, so we certainly want them to stay on the wall.

Reply to Help, window out of plane / Bal adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help, window out of plane / Bal adhesive
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.