Discuss help with advertising in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

square16

Hi all,
would really appreciate some advice here.
Have just started working for myself and am looking for some tips on the best places to advertise. I have limited funds but really need to get something sorted asap.

Am I better with leaflets,business cards etc or a web site or other on line companies.

Any advice will be strongly appreciated.

oh also i have been approached by touchlocal.com , is this a good place to advertise???????

Thanks for your time guys!!!

I

Ian

If you have a local parish magazine use it, especially if it is well established. Apart from a bit of business card dropping, my local mag is the only place I advertise and it is brilliant. These types of magazine tend to do little incentives aswell, as an example, I asked if I could have a feature and as had advertised with them for many months they did it free of charge for being a loyal customer. You will also find that alot of other local builders and plumbers advertise in these magazines so will see you name alongside theirs and possibly use you on their jobs.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi and welcome. :)

Firstly, I wouldn't recommend paying to advertise online and that includes the 'bid-for-work' type websites, and the general directories. Only when you're making money should you first research and then budget a small amount each year to 'test' new local advertising and a little for unique online advertising.

Secondly, different things seem to work in different area's of the country, it's pretty much changing as much as pricing is too from what I can tell.

But in general you want business cards, and leaflets, and while no work is coming in keep doing the leaflet drop thing, that tends to take time. Spend a lot of time in the tile shops and befriend the store guys and the manager if you spot him/her. They'll be your bread and butter in the future. Do the same with general contractors when you see them but avoid the guys in the pub saying they are. :thumbsup:

The guys on the forum know I bang on about websites, and so does Dave now as his works very well. Loads are getting them (eventually!) and they're using all sorts of ways to go about it. But not all are working, so make sure you get a website that can be optimised, and avoid a free one. A website should cost around 300 - 500 quid and already be optimised (so that it ranks well in the search engines!) and you want to update it yourself for free (most work a little like this forum works so if you can type on here you can type on your website too). So I'd have a good website. (see David Howe Tiling | Tiler in Durham | North East Tilers which is Dave's website - but checkout the other lads websites too, they usually have them in their forum signature).

Be patient and polite during all of your first phone calls, and don't get too 'needy' or desperate-looking. Your excitement and passion can often come across a bit too much for the first few customers. But you certainly don't want to not ask questions, ask as many as you can think of and then keep mentioning their replies when talking about the job.

I wouldn't pay for touchlocal personally.

All the best and good luck!

great advice from Dan. When i started out i paid for a priority listing on yell.com and never got a single job in 12 months so i dont use any online directories anymore unless its a free listing. I got quite a few calls at first from leaflet dropping and local adverts like notice boards outside shops etc, my van being sign written also got a few calls. I've now got a website and i have to say its the best money i have spent on promoting my business, even if the customer hasn't got my number from it i will direct them to it when quoting and i think it helps get the job!
Another thing i did was go round to local bathroom, kitchen companys etc to offer my services, i must admit i thought i was wasting my time whilst doing it but a kitchen firm i did go to contacted me a few weeks after to try me on a job. Since then i've done loads of jobs for them and built up good relations with all the other trades doing work for them and without doubt i wouldn't have been able to grow the business without this.
So basically my advice would be dont sit at home waiting for work through just adverts, put yourself out there, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck!!!

O

Oleschool

try do a lot yourself, lots of free templates for websites etc, input your url on all the free business sites. don't be tempted to spend to much on advertising. if you have a van get it sign written. visit your local tile shops and introduce yourself, and keep popping in and buying you gear there to. Parish mags can work, I've heard some good thing about put the work sites such as rated people and the like. lol dont go mad buying 5000 business cards like i did when i started, then 4 month later changed my mobile number DOH!!!

Reply to help with advertising in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
help with advertising
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.