Discuss Hi - am I glad to find this site! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mayfielr

Hi, I'm new here and this site looks like a wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping to find information about adhesive. I have had a problem with tiling (to put it mildly!).

We have recently done a bit of DIY tiling and I think used the wrong adhesive. I have 60x30cm porcelain tiles and after tiling a wall, one tile fell off - and made multiples chips in the brand new bath as it came down.:mad2:

After looking at the adhesive tub I see that it is suitable for ceramic 30x30 tiles - do I need to take all the tiles off the wall and start again with the appropriate adhesive for this type of tile? They have been up for about four days now so this may be tricky - and I don't know if I can take them off without damaging the tiles. However if I must I must - but do any of you professionals out there know the bottom line answer to this?

Thank you very much in advance

C

CJ CERAMICS

hi mayfielr and welcome to the forum.
firstly you will find that the majority of the pros on here will only use a bagged adhesive not tubbed, 600 x 300 porcs sgould have been fixed with a suitable bagged adhesive, in my opinion and for peace of mind you will have to remove these tiles and fix them properly sorry but there is a good chance that one may fall off while you are in the bath. the good news is that because you used a tubbed addy if you can remove the tiles cleanly you can soak the tile with warm water and scrape the adhesive off, it comes of quite easy.

sorry that this is probably not the answer you were hoping for, but safety must come first.

chris

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Tubbed adhesive?? the bane of our industry.

Did the shop recommend it for use with the tiles that they supplied to you?
It states 300x300 ceramic but your using it for 600x300 porcelain?
If they did then they need some education on fixing.
You will have to remove and start again mate, you will find as Chris has said that the adhesive will come off easily enough.
Out of interest what is the finish on the walls?

D

diamondtiling

You have used a dispersion adhesive which needs air to allow it to dry, since your tiles are too big to ever allow air to do its job I would remove all of them, its just not worth the risk.
You need to start again and use a cement based adhesive (bagged).
When you say bonding coat do you mean a skimmed surface over plasterboard? if so then this type of surface will carry 20kgs in weight, thats the tile, adhesive and grout so make sure you are within this allowance.

Did you get the tiles and adhesive from the same supplier?

PS. the best place to keep bal green star or any tubbed adhesive is on the shelf at the shop, just ignore them and go straight to the bagged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hi - am I glad to find this site! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I assumed I could tile onto marine plywood and my tiles fell off ... I'm tiling on a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi - am I glad to find this site!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.