Discuss Hi career change or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minty913

Hi

I’m not a tiler but am seriously thinking of a careerchange, I am currents serving in the army and I’m at a point where I need tochoose what to do, I have been self employed before and I know how hard it canbe to make ends meet and to find work.

I have always enjoyed tiling ( for friends & familyetc..) and am thinking about taking it up full time but want to take on acourse first & work towards an NVQ has any one had experience with these courses in or around the Swindon area?I have heard mixed reviews.

I was thinking when I’m doing the course, maybe asking thelocal traders if they would like any free labour so I could gain experience ordo you think that is wrong?

Many thanks

Minty

I

Ian

Welcome along to the forum. There are on site/ on job NVQ's available but you do need to show evidence of your working to an assessor, so experience is necessary! Catch 22! My advice would be similar to that already given,do a 2/4/6 week course then, do small jobs for family and friends to begin with to build up your confidence then gradually work your way into the public and aim towards getting your NVQ that way. Doing an NVQ full time will require alot of your time, which is OK if you have the time available. All the best Bri.

W

worro

Hi there minty, be carefull mate when chosing a corse I know when I first started I paid £700.00 for a two week corse and all the instructor tought me was how to lean on a pallet and smoke a ****. Cheers John...you know who you are!!!. I realised very early on in my carreer that I needed to work for a tiling firm, and do a sort of aprentiship if you like. I worked as a Jobbing tiler for 5 years then gained enough experiance to go on my own. Realise as well that once you start on your own you"ll have to build a custumer base up which could take a least 3 years if you lucky...its not easy but if you stick at it you will reap the benifits in the end......good luck!!!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

So would you recommend after doing some courses try and get work with otherlocal tillers?

leaving the army is hard and trying to go in to a trade or course in armytime is harder that’s why I was thinking get a course done then work for freeat weekend so when I leave in a year’s time I should of found my feet

Minty, I commend you and your fellow service men/women, for the fine job you do, I have so much respect for our armed forces.

Are there not any courses you could enroll on whilst still serving? I may be wrong, but i'm sure there have been members here who did courses in trades, prior to leaving the forces. If you could get on a course, and then contact a pro. member in your area, to get some experience.:thumbsup:

Reply to Hi career change or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really sorry to bore Many of you. I didn't want to hijack another post. I'm 42 good...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Pleasure to meet you all. I’m after some help/advice please. After working in the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hi career change or not?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.