UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi everybody, desperately need your advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AngieBaby

Hello, Ive been looking at Tiles forum on the peripheries for a while and decided to join so that I can pick your expert brains.

I recently bought some Stardust Grey tiles from Topps tiles and they look beautiful in my tiny bathroom, but cost a fortune (to me).
I looked on line and found (what I thought to be) the same thing from Tiles Porcelain at half the price. Its called Crystalstone and I bought some for my kitchen and cloakroom (as it was so reasonable).

If they are the same, or similar why do Tiles porcelain insist on me using a Crystalstone Silicone enhancer and Topps didn't. They are mega glossy and sparkly and having read the various threads quartz tiles I don't know whether I should be using it or not.

Im baffled, please advise me :8:

B

Bubblecraft

Topps should have advised you to use Fila Polished Porcelain Sealer for the Stardust as its a quartz resin. If it was the older type, Starlight which is a conglomerate marble, they should of advised Fila Granite sealer. The difference is, Starlight scratches, Stardust doesn't.

The Crystalstone Silicone Enhancer that Tiles porcelain recommend is not a product I'm familiar with or the Crystalstone they sell. I would ask about regarding the best sealer for the tile they sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bubblecraft

This was a reply to Mikes post...which seemed to disappear!

Topps do get the training from the reps...it's up to the staff to listen & put forward to customers. Topps staff up here are not bad at giving the correct advice to customers. Rarely I need to re-educate the customer for wrongly given advice from Topps. Guess its down to the individual store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Thank you for your responses!

Topps said nothing but Tiles Porcelain insisted. Are the Topps ones just better quality?
Some of the comments about using silicone say that it permanently dulls the shine on the tiles. I have no idea what to do for the best!
some of the cheaper quartz tiles can suffer from grout staining when not sealed my local tile shop had a problem with one such job and asked me to give them a quote for cleaning the tiles so it may be that the company involved is worried that their material is prone to staining too ,hope this helps

A

AngieBaby

I will do. Thank you so much for your advice.

I called Topps who said that I should have had been offered some solvent sealer or other, Tiles Porcelain said that the tiles didn't need sealing but this stuff "Brillo Cera Siliconica" will polish and protect the quartz. I did a patch test on a sample tile they sent me and the it seemed ok.

Thank you again for your help. I've recommended you to Topps Tiles! x

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi everybody, desperately need your advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
C
Good Evening Ladies & Gents! Hope your all well and won’t mind me picking your brains, I’ll...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
E
So I'm having trouble with a customer relating to grout (Bal Micromax) I have tiled 70 sq...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
H
Hope someone can advise me on the best way to go about two tiling jobs I need to do at home...
Replies
Views
HardTarget
H

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.