UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi everyone new screed advise needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rob1

great forum people almost to much information to read!

Anyway i would very much appreciate some advise, i am in the process of building myself an extension, I have just laid 7/9/12 a 75mm deep C25 concrete & fibre screed over wet underfloor heating pipes., i have not as yet sealed the floor.

my screeding has created a few bumps in the floor so in order to get this as flat as possible i have purchased some Tarmac flexible floor leveller (with latex), my problem is that information suggests that i should let the screed dry for 75 days this is not really an option ! i am thinking of leaving it two weeks weeks.

1. Do i need to seal the floor before i apply the Tarmac floor levelling compound as i am worried about moisture, being trapped between the screed & the levelling compound
2. I have purchased 600mm X 600mm 10mm porcelain tiles to lay on the floor what would you recommend as a tile adhesive as the levelling compound has latex properties in it?
the floor area is only 28 sq. meters

many thanks

R

rob1

Ajax its a bit of a combi-mix really, looks like sharp sand & cement, some of the grains of sand/gravel are 5mm in diameter which is what i would expect & includes fibres . I asked a site agent whilst on-site today his thoughts , he said he has not sealed a new screed floor in the last ten years & told me not to worry & just place the levelling compound down after a week or two. or don't bother & just put the tiles down., not that i don't trust his advice he has 40+ years experience but a second opinion is what i need, i am a sparky by trade so do ask & watch contractors when they are on builds i am on if i require information , but i am not on a build doing a floor at the moment, most of the information i have read is vague at best with regards to screeds most people quote (1day per mm)drying time which on modern builds is totally out the window. the last job i was on was a (new swimming pool) which had underfloor heating & 150mm screed laid across two floors & 4000 sq meters but i was not paying to much attention to it at the time and have as yet to see the finished facility.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
On the basis that it is a sand cement screed presumably site mixed itis likely that it will be too wet for a few weeks yet to level directly. You have a couple of choices.
first choice would be to use a liquid damp proof membrane to suppress the residual moisture and a levelling compound on top of that. The second option would be to place an uncoupling membrane using a cement based adhesive and then either use a levelling compound on top of that or use a thick bed adhesive to take out the undulations. My preference would be option 1. There are loads of damp proof membranes available these days and they are not all that expensive.

W

White Room

On the basis that it is a sand cement screed presumably site mixed itis likely that it will be too wet for a few weeks yet to level directly. You have a couple of choices.
first choice would be to use a liquid damp proof membrane to suppress the residual moisture and a levelling compound on top of that. The second option would be to place an uncoupling membrane using a cement based adhesive and then either use a levelling compound on top of that or use a thick bed adhesive to take out the undulations. My preference would be option 1. There are loads of damp proof membranes available these days and they are not all that expensive.

What sort liquid membrane would that be Alan.....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
What sort liquid membrane would that be Alan.....

2 part Epoxy generally. Eg bostik universal one coat, tremco ES membrane, Merlin barrier coat etc. ther are dozens. Hey tend to besed mre in the vinyl business but there s no reason why the should not be used with rigid coverings.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi everyone new screed advise needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.