Discuss Hi Everyone! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DEWALT

A quick hello from me!

I did send a few emails to admin using the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page but I received no response so thought I'd post instead!

My name is Roy and I work for DEWALT power tools. I used to be quite active on the various tile forums several years ago helping out where I could and learning as much about what you guys used to cut tiles as possible.

I may also have met a good few of you when placing field test prototypes and during research across the UK.

If you have any queries about DEWALT products then I'll be happy to help out as much as I can.

Cheers,

Roy.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Dewalt Gun.jpg

THE best nail gun I've ever seen.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
A quick hello from me!

I did send a few emails to admin using the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page but I received no response so thought I'd post instead!

My name is Roy and I work for DEWALT power tools. I used to be quite active on the various tile forums several years ago helping out where I could and learning as much about what you guys used to cut tiles as possible.

I may also have met a good few of you when placing field test prototypes and during research across the UK.

If you have any queries about DEWALT products then I'll be happy to help out as much as I can.

Cheers,

Roy.

Hello Roy , I'm sure we met a couple times at spennymoor. .?

O

Old Mod

Hi Roy,
as you're looking at tile saws I have a request please.
A saw similar to the Rubi TC 180 (which I currently own) but based more on your own DWS 520KR and the Festool TS 55 (which I also own) Something based on a rail guided plunge saw with complete blade coverage for good dust extraction, like the others I've mentioned and with the finèss of adjustment like that of a joiners plunge saw and if I'm really pushing my luck with wet cut facility too! Oh and a larger bore with the addition of reducing rings too. ..... Not forgetting the ability to mitre of course, think that covers it! Oh and at a price comparative to established plunge saws :)
....... and as I'm not greedy, 1% of the net profit for the idea! Haha cos it'll sell!
Yours in hope Marc.

D

DEWALT

Hi Marc,

I hope to dig into the frustrations you guys have cutting tiles. The last time I spent time scoping out opportunities (back in 2006) one of the most common issues I would hear was the ever increasing sizes of tiles - a trend that for me was signaled when Rubi launched their TX-1200 to accommodate 1 metre square tiles!

As a result we developed a prototype electric saw that ran on the DEWALT DWS520 plunge saw rail, sadly a concept that never materialised.

The Rubi TC-180 looks a neat saw but there is plenty of opportunity to be innovative and allow for increased flexibility for different types of cut together with effective dust extraction. Another opportunity added to the list!

Do you see any benefit for a cordless (battery powered) saw? I know the Makita CC300DZ was a popular little tool, it just lacked the grunt for thicker and harder tiles.

Everything is going cordless now, the cost of batteries and the run time available from the latest 5.0Ah and 6.0Ah packs means anything is possible!

D

DEWALT

Roy - welcome.
Unlike Dave I've never met you but the Dewalt is the best wet cutter I've had in the 42 years since my pin hammer and chisel!

Hey Dave, being just up the road in Newcastle I hope this will change!

We are scoping out potential tile saw opportunities so I need to get back out and start talking tile saws, it's been a while!

The D24000 has been a great saw, never originally intended for sale in Europe (the US are very much into their sliding bed saws) as at the time the UK was very much into rail / bridge saws for the larger tiles. We decided to give it ago and it took off!

There is so much opportunity for adding innovative features to tile saws, it surprises me how many new saws are launched without any consideration for water containment and a low priority on cut accuracy and overall durability. I think this is where the D24000 excels which isn't bad for a 10 year old design - it first launched in 2004!

O

Old Mod

Hi Marc,

I hope to dig into the frustrations you guys have cutting tiles. The last time I spent time scoping out opportunities (back in 2006) one of the most common issues I would hear was the ever increasing sizes of tiles - a trend that for me was signaled when Rubi launched their TX-1200 to accommodate 1 metre square tiles!

As a result we developed a prototype electric saw that ran on the DEWALT DWS520 plunge saw rail, sadly a concept that never materialised.

The Rubi TC-180 looks a neat saw but there is plenty of opportunity to be innovative and allow for increased flexibility for different types of cut together with effective dust extraction. Another opportunity added to the list!

Do you see any benefit for a cordless (battery powered) saw? I know the Makita CC300DZ was a popular little tool, it just lacked the grunt for thicker and harder tiles.

Everything is going cordless now, the cost of batteries and the run time available from the latest 5.0Ah and 6.0Ah packs means anything is possible!
Hey Roy,
Yeah obviously cordless would be great, but could they deliver the power required for cutting the heavy porcelain that's increasingly being used now? Quite often with the work I do I have to cut everything outside because the client will just not allow it in their home, so cordless is obviously more convenient.
I also find that sometimes if you're using a less powerful machine the quality of the cut suffers even with an expensive high end blade.
As far as the TC 180 goes it's a great machine, but it has pitfalls, the most annoying being no mitre facility.
I cut these glass tiles with the Rubi and a Montolit blade, but all the external edges had to be mitred, sadly the Rubi was a no go and I had to use a different cutter which was not so user friendly.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

D

DEWALT

Wow, nice looking tiles, great job too, puts my bathroom to shame!

Up until fairly recently cordless power tools were reserved for drill drivers, wood cutting trim saws, torches and radios etc.

Things are changing though, and fast. I can't be too specific but in the next few years there will be a raft of new cordless technologies coming to market that will allow us to properly challenge the traditionally corded-only applications.

You will see most of the power tool manufacturers (notably Milwaukee and their 18V FUEL system) making some very bold claims around cordless tools now performing a lot of corded applications. Intelligent electronics, brushless motors and low impedance cells in the battery all allow for improved power outputs.

There is nothing worse than when a saw bogs down and chips the tile so your feedback on the required RPM is helpful, thanks!

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Welcome Roy, I have recently just sold my 2400, as I didn't really use it too much. I would however be quite interested in a rail saw, corded or cordless. As Marc says though it would have to have either good dust extraction and or a wet cut facilty, and of course mitre. The main reason I have never bought the Rubi one.

D

DEWALT

Hi Roy
Something I would really love is a retro fit extension to the runners on my D24000 to enable a larger tile to be cut without the need to turn tile.
And yes, would be happy to test this for you ( don't forget my royalties).

Hi Julian,

Some good points there, it isn't usually the front to back capacity people have issue with, more so the width of the tile or left to right capacity, which in the case of the D24000 is restricted by the motor head support arm. Longer runners may mean the ability to catch the water run-off in the trays could be compromised and we'd need to ensure the cut accuracy is maintained but if longer tiles are becoming an issue it will be something that could be explored. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

Reply to Hi Everyone! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB