Discuss Hi forum members in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Man2eep

Hi,
I am looking for some advice, we have recently have had a extension done. The entire ground floor is wet underfloor heated. The floor is suspended floor joists with the pipe runs between the joists. A wpb ply board has been screwed down on the joists. The floor has then been tiled using 600mm by 600mm porclain tiles with a flexible adhesive. Soon after tiling and when the under floor heating was on, we noticed some tiles were loose, now over a span of a month loads of tiles have popped up and the grout cracked almost every where. What has gone wrong and how can we rectify this disaster ? Some people have said we should have used a backer board screwed to the ply and then tiled? Any assistance/guidance will be appreciated. Thanks

I

Ian

Most adhesive manufacturers state that heating should not be turned on for 28 days after the completion of the installation, this is to allow the adhesive to reach full strength. Also, it should be turned on at its lowest setting and then the temperature increased by one/two degrees per day so as not to 'shock' the floor. I'd still like to know if the tiles have debonded from the adhesive of the adhesive from the floor, a couple of pictures will speak a thousand words, if you can remove a loose tile or 2.

M

Man2eep

Hi Bri, the UFH went on as they completed the tiling process. As we walk over the tiles, some tiles are literally loose and seem de bonded from the adhesive. Later today I will lift up a tile and look to see whether the adhesive has de bonded from the wpb board.
Is it right to believe that porclain tiles should never be laid directly on wpb board. That there should have been a 12mm backer board screwed on the ply followed by flexible adhesive ?
thanks

I

Ian

Hi Bri, the UFH went on as they completed the tiling process. As we walk over the tiles, some tiles are literally loose and seem de bonded from the adhesive. Later today I will lift up a tile and look to see whether the adhesive has de bonded from the wpb board.
Is it right to believe that porclain tiles should never be laid directly on wpb board. That there should have been a 12mm backer board screwed on the ply followed by flexible adhesive ?
thanks

A 6mm backer board would have been fine 12mm is more for stud walls, the backer board would undoubtedly have been a better surface to tile to, also, the backs of the tiles should have been skimmed with adhesive as well as troweling the floor, this will help to achieve a full bed of adhesive and assisting adhesion to the tile. Just another thought, was the floor deflection (bounce) free after the ply was fitted? Is there any chance that excess movement has caused the tiles to debond?

M

Man2eep

Attachments

• image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 30
D

DHTiling

Hi , you have a system that is heat and timber ... these 2 factors together create high thermal stress on a tiled installation.

This can be overcome with the use of an Elastomeric adhesive or the use of and Un-coupling membrane..

Normal C2FT/S1 is not suitable IMO and the use of C2FT/S2 min is required... but there is still risk of cracking due to the stresses of tiling to timber , this is where an Un-coupling membrane comes in and will take stresses of up to 3mm in expansion without cracking the tiling field.

So to your installation , it will most likely be poor choice of installation materials , factored in with the heating not being commissioned according to BS5385.. you should have been informed of these points before being allowed to just turn the heating on, cold or not..

The route now is to remove all tiles and clean the substrate ready to tile correctly and commission properly after installation.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi forum members in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen. We were going...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB