Discuss Hi from BernieA in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BernieA

Hi, In the past I've usually done my own tiling on Kitchen and bathroom walls but when I got an extension to my house a couple of years ago I decided to have Travertine tiles in the Kitchen, diner, sun-room, utility room and downstairs loo. It cost me a small fortune to buy the tiles and adhesives and to have them laid but they have been a complete disaster. I've tried in vain to get the tile suppliers involved in putting things right but they have refused, stating that I should have been aware that Travertine is high maintentance and new holes would appear continually. They maintain that their Travertine is 1st quality. I've looked at quite a lot of Travertine floors but never seen any as bad as mine.

I sealed the tiles myself using Stonefix satin tile seal which I believe is acrylic based. I have always cleaned the floor using a neutral cleaners recommended for marble/travertine etc.

My kitchen area looks awful. Around 40% of the tiles have either multiple small holes or else several large holes sized from 0.5 cm to 3 cm across and upto 1.5 cm deep. A kitchen bar stool has worn into the tiles on which it stands as if they were made from polyfilla. The first tile inside every enterance door has cracks in it - I presume this is down to insufficient adhesive at the interfaces. The dining area was floor boarded but covered with 20mm plywood which was screwed around every 4 inches as I recall. Worryingly there are now several places here where cracks have appeared which contnue through several tiles.

As you can imagine, my wife hates the site of it and would like to have it all ripped up. I'm retired now and couldn't afford this option even if I wanted to do it. She is giving me one last chance to try and save it before she brings someone in to cover it in cushionfloor. I haven't dared tell her that it will need covering in leveller or grinding first due to the lipping on some of the tiles.

I've decided to do the repair work myself where possible and will seek the advice of pros and more experienced diyers in Tilers Forum, so look out for my Posts.

I

Ian

Welcome along. Did the company you purchased the tiles from provide the tiler to do the fitting for you? Also could you not replace the very worst ones and repair the smaller holes? If you could post some pictures it would help to see how bad your situation is. What is your location? It might be possible for somone to come and look at your floor to give you some advice, you don't want to cover it all over if it's not really necessary.

B

BernieA

Welcome along. Did the company you purchased the tiles from provide the tiler to do the fitting for you? Also could you not replace the very worst ones and repair the smaller holes? If you could post some pictures it would help to see how bad your situation is. What is your location? It might be possible for somone to come and look at your floor to give you some advice, you don't want to cover it all over if it's not really necessary.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the foum

I bought the tiles from a company called N&C Tile Style located in Leeds. The fitter is my son-in-law, who is also located in Leeds. Although he had been a full time tiler for around 18 months this was his first Travertine job. I live in Thornaby, Teesside.

The tiles N&C had on display looked very good. They described them as being 1st Quality which I took to mean very good, though I now know differently. The ones that they delivered were a mix of good and not so good, though obviously it van be difficult to tell for someomne who isn't familiar with Travertine. Someone mentioned that there was a regulation introduced a year or two ago aimed at stopping suippliers from selling low grade travertine as suitable for floors - Has anyone else heard of this?. I'm sure I wouldn'y have had many problems if I'd used it on the walls.

Obviously I cant really pursue my son-in-law but I'm sure he will help when he can, especially when it comes to removing some of worst tiles. He now works full time in a different job and has a young family so his help will be limited to an odd weekend afternoon.

I will start a new topic in the forum which I will call "Travertine Restoration Project". I will include photos as I go along. Look forward to your helpful inputs.

Many Thanks...BernieA

Reply to Hi from BernieA in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi from BernieA
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.