Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Hi New Member To Tiling Forum Seeking Advice About Starting Out As A Tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

killer007

I'm 3 weeks into the course so far and have found it excellent the tutors are extremely keen for you to learn and progress new skills. I have done various wall and floor tiling patterns such as brick bond, diamonds, taco's etc. Looking forward to the remaining 3 weeks which includes a full bathroom and kitchen project, tanking a wetroom, natural stone and mosaics.

The 6 week course takes you through your NVQ Level 2 which is a must now if you want to do site work in the future. The extra bonus for me aswell because i've travelled down 330 miles from Lancaster is that they offer free accommodation with the 6 week course so you will save a fortune if you have to travel.

I've been put in the Elmer in Middleton-On-Sea which is excellent everyone really friendly and food good!!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Hi Stuart,welcome to forum.
My advice,strive to be the best that you can,constantly ask questions on Forum and use technical departments for advice.
Work with other experienced tilers.
Aim to get your NVQ level 2 and CSCS card.
Take before,during and after photos for your portfolio & ready for your NVQ evidence. Meet other trades on jobs,establish relationships,exchange phone numbers and try to pass each other work.
Explore every avenue to find new work. Knock on doors.
Get your van sign written.
Do not spend too much money on advertising or tools initially,just get the essentials.
Get a website ( or learn how to do it yoursef ) -- I did my own, and my own SEO - THIS WORKS WELL FOR ME,although site not technically brilliant.
There is work out there,but do not wait for it to come to you.

Also, do not be under any illusions..it will be a struggle starting out in todays fiancial climate,many established tradesmen from all sectors are finding it hard. Less work to go around, prices in many areas lower.
But if you do it,then give it your best shot.

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi mate...welcome to the life of tiling...you made a good choice.
I found that the best advertising was my van and business cards. Get your van or car decorated with good advertising and take it everywhere...even leave it parked in the local shopping centre or DIY store car park. When you get your jobs be polite, safe and clean. I always either hoover or clean the floors that iv'e walked over, even when using dustsheets...it don't take long but it gives a good impression. Also, enjoy your work...even if its a **** of a job...don't let the customer know!!!

Good luck. :welcome:

Somerset
Ha - so you finally got here then Stuart!

As you can see - many worthy posters on this forum, its like serving an apprenticeship without having to make the tea and clean the tools every day for the "time served" tiler.

Just completed another bathroom today, great job (even if I say so myself) - great learning experience too - just put 3 screws through the hot water pipe whilst securing the loose floorboards prior to floor tiling the bathroom .... plumber switches back on the hot water and the water pours through ceiling to hallway (after I had overboarded and tiled the floor of course).
:oops:
Water isolated, plumber p***ing his self laughing whilst I cut holes in ceiling below to identify (3) points of leakage (getting me a serious covering of water and soggy plaster in the process), then take whole section of ceiling out so plumber can replace a 2 metre section of pipe.

Its about time that Sam and Paul introduced a bit more problem solving into the 6 week course! :idea3:

Morals of this story:
- dont screw down a loose floorboard you have not lifted first to check for cable and pipe immediately below.
- never assume pipes and cables are routed across the joists in the middle of the overlaying floorboard.
- when screwing overlay boards onto floorboards - make sure the screw length is 5 mm less than combined depth of floorboard and overlay.
- make sure you know how to turn off hot and cold water supply before you start a bathroom job.

After some really hard work (until 10 pm last night) I managed to clear up the mess, replace damaged floorboards, successfully lift and replace 3 floor tiles, and get my step son to repair the ceiling. Customer happy cos we sorted out the problem, cleared the mess, and I did a quality tiling job.

So thats what it can be like in the real world earning a crust from tiling! :lol:

Good luck and I will email you the photos next week.

Andy C

Hi Stuart and welcome,

Your story reads very similar to mine, so I wish you all the luck in the world starting up.

I finished a course roughly 2 months ago, and I'm just starting to win some jobs now, getting practice at putting qoutes together and dealing with customers in a confident manner seems to be what turned the key for me. And that was advise that I read on this excellent forum.
:welcome:

Reply to Hi New Member To Tiling Forum Seeking Advice About Starting Out As A Tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Welcome to the International Tile Advice Forum. This is the Australian tile forum category for...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi New Member To Tiling Forum Seeking Advice About Starting Out As A Tiler
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.