Discuss Hi popped over from the electrical forum in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

t&earth

Hi Guys

I’m an electrician popped over from the other forum for some advice Please.

I want to tile my entire ground floor 60sqM using porcelain tiles, the only problem is that the previous floor covering was Marley tiles, which were all taken up to run central heating pipes etc. Now I’m left with a black sticky bituminous based adhesive, which I understand can not be tiled over!
I’ve been told by BAL that I can either re-screed the floor 30mm), scarify the floor removing the bituminous, or ply wood the area, all these suggestions are not an option for various reasons. However I’ve heard that you can lay a slurry mixture of SBR & cement powder and coat the floor with this first before tiling? Is this true or does anyone have a better idea if so I would be very grateful for some help on this.
As stated I’m an electrician and I have decided to do this myself having been let down twice with this job.

Many Thanks
Steve

T

tilerjason

hi ive recently done a similar floor made from asphelt, due to the bitumen and chemical compounds the floor has to be totally sealed either by sbr with cement being added to create a creamy mixture and then brushed on and left to set or by using epoxy bond, normal acrylic bond will only last about a year or so before the chemicals start reacting with each other and start to break down the adhesive , ( thats only if its asphelt like mine ) hope this helps . :thumbsup:

Reply to Hi popped over from the electrical forum in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hi popped over from the electrical forum
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks