Discuss Hi, will my mosaic border increase the risk of adhesive failing? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tonymacprods

Hi i'm a DIY hobbyist looking to improve my skills..thanks already for the knowledge shared on this forum.

I am currently having my bathroom tiled and decided to use a professional tiler rather than risk making a mess myself. I have 500 x 250 wall tiles with a mosic border.

Unfortunately the mosaic tile is thinner than the main tile by about 2mm (see attached photo). The tiler did point this out before he started but didn't imply there was anyway of getting them flush so I just let him get on with it.

Anyway the tiling is nearly finished and he'll be grouting probably on wed or thursday. My concern is not so much the appearance but I'm starting to get concerned that there may be risk of failure where the mosaic border meets the main wall tile. Specifically I'm assuming that when the border is grouted, the next wall tile will have 1 or 2mm of lip exposed. Should I be concerned about this? The mosaic border does run through a shower bath area but the shower will be used once or twice a month max since its a guest bathroom so its not going to be a particularly wet area. Do I need to worry or should it be fine? Tiler has used BAL rapid flexi, walls are green gyproc primed with BAL APD. He will be using Mapei grout.

Thanks for reading

Tony

Attachments

• mosaic tile.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

its not ideal that the tiler has done this but, it would have been better if you had discussed this with the tiler when he highlighted this to you.

It shouln't make too much difference in terms of deffence against water etc. The grout used is water resistant but not waterproof so water will always be absorbed through to substrate (tanking is the preventsative measure to help eliminate this)

As mentioned already, it will be the finnished that is compromised more than anything.

I think that when the tiler mentioned this to you he was pretty much suggesting that he was going to fit them as they were (otherwise he would have come up with a suggestion)

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi tony as above it looks a decent job hes done apart from the border which would be flush, is now the time to go back and ask him to remove it though since he did tell you inititially he wouldnt be able to keep it flush?

anyways it seems you are okay with this part but worried about water ingress,once grouted up there isnt any reason i see that water is going to get through just because its set back from the field tiles

Reply to Hi, will my mosaic border increase the risk of adhesive failing? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi, will my mosaic border increase the risk of adhesive failing?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.