Hi

Discuss Hi in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Suzanne

Hi everyone thanks for the replies. My flat is a basement the entrance and utility area are directly under the stairs to the main house. I have been advised to lay membrane on the stairs and then clad in either stone or tile. I would rather stone but it is looking expensive. I would have assumed that treated properly stone would be better against wear and tear and frost compared with Quarry tile? Aside that is from looking quite a lot better. I've attached a picture of the area. Any advise / suggestions would be appreciated, this job is well overdue!

Attachments

• 01-stairs-opti.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Suzanne, and:welcome:you could use a tanking membrane such as Dural WP, or the like. I would advise you to lap up the sides with tape to the thickness of your tile/stone. Use a frost resistant adhesive, and then clad with tile/stone, again using frost resistant adhesive & grout. You can get porcelain tiles that are good quality and will be resistant to water ingress, some types of quarries, also stone can be treated to make it water proof. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Suzanne, If you use a waterproof membrane prior to tiling, the stone steps will be protected from water ingress. If you choose a frost resistant quarry tile you can get a nosing tile to make it non slip.

If you go for a natural stone tile, there are products now ( sealers) that will give you a 15 year guarantee, one application then 15 years maintenance free, sounds good to me.:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Hi, I've had a quote from a stone mason to water proof and clad stairs 7sqm in Travertine, cost £5000, does that sound right? I'm in London btw...

Suzanne

We cant discuss prices in this forum but just a quick question.............................
was the guy wearing a mask when he gave you that price? was his name Dick, surname Turpin?
Put up some pictures and then we can see exactly what you need.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Hi in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.