Discuss History lessson needed from skilled Shower Installers !!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

This was all I was asking really .... certainly not seeking any legal advice here !
I am grateful for all the opinions received .... my thanks to you all.

It wasn't suggested that you were seeking legal advice at all, as well you know! My objection is in which manor you chose to gather your information! You been ambiguous at best with the information supplied in the hope, it would certainly appear, to help you take action against another party! Personally for me that is an insult to my intelligence and underhand! It appears from MY perspective that you asking us to help you bring a case against some work carried out some 6-7yrs ago without relaying all the relevant information so that we can decide for ourselves whether or not it is in fact poor workmanship! Apart from the fact that you could have suffered an earthquake in your area causing subsidence in your surrounding district! Excessive example? Yes of course! But it relays my objection to this method of gleaning information. Perhaps if you had been upfront with your problem initially it wouldn't have attracted such a cynical view from some members! And I know for sure you would have collected the information you required without alienating decent members of a forum who do their level best to help!

D

Deleted member 9966

Tanking kits were certainly available in 2009/2010 when I refurbished my en-suite shower room, and from what I recall, these kits and other water repelling boards like Wedi and Hardie were available quite readily if you knew where to find them and what you were looking for, and had been around for some time.

My best suggestion would be to contact Mapei who do a paint-on type tanking kit, as well as a wallpaper type roll kit, and perhaps Wedi and James Hardie and ask them exactly when their tanking products hit the shelves in the UK.

But it does all come down to knowing that these products were around back then, and that your installer knew what they were and the merits of having them.

I had a paint-on kit for my shower room because the house-builder had done a particularly poor job at installing the shower area and frequently I ended up with puddles of water in the lounge below. Once bitten, twice shy.

I

IHB

I think even if a tanking kit was available at the time it doesn't mean that the tiler was wrong not to use one. I'm sure there are common practices now that will be frowned upon in 10 years time. You can't use hindsight to work out which of the 100s of new products/practices will catch on and become the new standard.

If the tiler claimed to be working to a British Standard and if the BS said tanking was necessary (I'm not sure it did) then you might be able to claim that the work hadn't been completed as paid for. Otherwise I'd say that there's no chance of a claim.

C

Colour Republic

It wasn't suggested that you were seeking legal advice at all, as well you know! My objection is in which manor you chose to gather your information! You been ambiguous at best with the information supplied in the hope, it would certainly appear, to help you take action against another party! Personally for me that is an insult to my intelligence and underhand! It appears from MY perspective that you asking us to help you bring a case against some work carried out some 6-7yrs ago without relaying all the relevant information so that we can decide for ourselves whether or not it is in fact poor workmanship! Apart from the fact that you could have suffered an earthquake in your area causing subsidence in your surrounding district! Excessive example? Yes of course! But it relays my objection to this method of gleaning information. Perhaps if you had been upfront with your problem initially it wouldn't have attracted such a cynical view from some members! And I know for sure you would have collected the information you required without alienating decent members of a forum who do their level best to help!

Well said sir!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to History lessson needed from skilled Shower Installers !!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB