UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hmmm...im confused - most suitable backer board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Hello folks, Im preparing to tile 24sqm of kitchen floor onto a suspended wooden floor. I replaced the joists, 'under meshed' them and filled between with 100mm of Rockwool and have added loads of noggins, SBR primed the under & sides of the 18mm WBP plywood and screwed down at 150mm centres. All good so far.

Im now looking into suitable tile backer board before the Devi UFH mat then 3mm of Mapei Ultraplan renovation SLC. I dropped on 13 sheets of 12.5mm aquapanel and was going to use these then use 12mm Marmox (for insulation) for the areas (14sqm) of UFH. Then I was going to lay the SLC for a nice flat level to then tile with Bal SPF adhesive.

Im now wondering if I shouldnt use the Aquapanel as I could just use 6mm or 10mm Marmox over the whole floor? By the time ive used Mapei Keraflex to bed the boards down (2-3mm) plus the 12.5mm aquapanel plus adhesive 5mm then the tile 10mm im going to have a 30mm step.

So...Should I use the aquapanel/marmox combo scenario? or sack off the aquapanel and use just 6/10mm marmox?
And is my choice of Keraflex right when all im using it for is to stick the backer board to the plywood. Is there a cheaper flexible addy?

Thanks in advance.:hurray:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Both marmox and aqua panel are relatively poor insulators at 10mm. As you have filled between the joists with rock wool further insulation is probably not required so choose in order price, ease of sourcing and density. The overlay is not firing your primary insulator but a simple uncoupling suppliment.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hmmm...im confused - most suitable backer board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.