Discuss hobbies in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

Love shooting (clay pidgeons) my big thing is karting, if I'd been supported more as a child I'd be challenging Vettle!!!! I wish!!!

You and me both! I first started working for a karting center when I was about 11 or 12 in my school holidays then carried on working there for the next 5 years while bunking off school for track meetings :eek:pps: and most nights

By 13 their wasn't much I couldn't do in a kart as I would spend hours driving and fixing them every day. Of course being teenager and fairly handy i was always showing off in front of customers, I could 180 it at speed in to a parking space between 2 karts with the space being no more then 150mm bigger than the kart itself and everytime too. There was another lad Danny who was bloody good too, we could race round the track taking the same line with bumpers touching and drifting round corners side by side without ever taking the other one out as we knew each other so well. We thought we were cool, i'm sure the customers thought we were cocky little gits!

It's a very fond period of my life and like you I wish my parents had understood what I had, but alas they didn't invest the time and money in to me :cry:

Where did you use to race mate? This is a post I made in another part of the forum about a year or so ago. My story is now the second one down in the link.

When I was at secondary school I would bunk off to go and work at a karting track in Brighton, I was there from its set up until it closed down about 6 years later. I had some great times there and have quite a few funny stories as most of the lads who worked there were all under 20 and knew no fear.

Anyway there is a karting track that was next to the BBC centre in London, it set up about the same time as us but had a massive budget and celeb backing so it's always stuck in my mind, I was checking them out again as I was thinking of doing a meeting there on my Birthday. As I was looking around I saw a story posted by the CEO about him and his mates driving round Embankment in the karts and nearly getting nicked in the process, it brought back some memorys so I emailed the guy and told him about a similar story that happened to us.

Well he only went and put it on the website:lol: although he edited out the bit about our boss, he wasn't out at all but was shagging the secretary in the office at the time (both were married)

http://www.daytona.co.uk/team/ceo.html

and this was his story

Haven’t posted in a while so I thought I would share some memories over the next few weeks that have made me chuckle over the years:
Daytona was conceived in a small studio just off the Lower Richmond Road in Putney and our first fleet of karts was stored there for a while. One night in November 1990 my cousin Rob and I were sitting in the studio, around 11p.m. eyeing the karts and we decided it might be an idea to take a couple for a spin. So we carried a couple outside, started them up and took off down the road. These karts had been delivered with a 69 tooth rear sprocket, which meant that they were geared for about 60mph!
So we decided to do a circuit, down Lower Richmond Road, left into Thames Place, along the Embankment and left again into Festing Road. I was leading as we sped along the embankment, under cover of Darkness and we as arrived at the left into Festing Road I saw a jam sandwich with two bobbies sitting there, they used to hang out down there to stop all the George Michaels! I booted it and slung the kart into the left hander that is Festing, bounced off a few parked cars and got my kart manhandled through the door of the studio and then turned the lights off.
Rob saw the bill and dived in behind behind one of those big trailers that they use to lug the rowing eights about. Apparently he pulled a big green tarpaulin over him and the kart and sat there with the exhaust suffocating him. After a minute or so a car pulled up next to the trailer and Rob heard a window going down, then a hand appeared and lifted the tarpaulin and Rob was face to face with the fuzz. Apparently the copper said “be careful”, dropped the tarpaulin and they drove off!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i love bikes to, but mine have a 1050cc engine in them, ive been into to bikes for 30yrs, starting with my suzuki AP50 when i was 16.

i got the biking bug from my father who allways had a bike, i can still remember me and my brother trying to kick start one of his bikes when we were kids, and going out with him on the back of one of his many bikes, all british bikes, no jap crap as he would say.........happy days.

G

Gazzer

Lol Hobbies ! i think i have done my fair share. Fishing, shooting, Air rifle and full bore hand guns. Model aircraft flying, boats cars. Trials riding, Bush riding. Playing guitar, Keyboards ( neither a success). Woodwork DIY, Photography Videography, Video editing.
I still have fishing tackle but main hobby apart from Music festivals etc is my 27 years old BMW twin. I ride it now and again but mainly just tinker with it and keep it looking nice.

Oh I collect tools too but you may already know that !

B

Bolter

Im a paintballer, have been playing competitively for 10yrs (12ish total) and have traveled all over Europe playing in the top league.

Have recently took a step back, and we now dont take things so seriously, and play once or twice a month for fun.

Part4113.jpg

Part2073new.jpg

any questions, Id be happy to answer.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
paintballing,i love it,only done it a few times,but its ace.

my 'hobby'as a teenager and into my early 20's was boxing,only amature,but trained and sparred with a few decent pro's around burnley,and in oldham too on a few occations.

a few years ago me and my mate got asked to go back down to our local gym and spar with the young lads,give them some experiance,so we did,and me,ended up in hospital with a bleed on my brain,nothing differant that ive done most of my life,well,maybe a bit slower moving my head:mad2:the nuro surgeon just said it was one of those things,could happen if i walked into a door.anyhow,it all turned out fine,but not allowed to spar again.
i was gutted at 1st,loved the training and even more the sparring,but the wife was happy,hated me doing it back in my teens,never mind in my late 30's:drool5:

now i just do this,my fave pastime,would do it everyweek if i could,but family comes 1st,well,sometimes:smilewinkgrin:

Attachments

• PICT0156.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 33

Reply to hobbies in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
hobbies
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.