Discuss Hole in middle of tile for socket in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Assuming the electricians have done the job properly, and working on the basis that it's a ring main circuit with 2 wires in the back of the socket, then there's no way you'll get the faceplate through the hole in the tile. Cut the hole in the tile to the size of the backplate, take the socket off the wall, fit the tile, grout, then refit the socket. Job done

Eh??
If you mark & cut the tile spot on then the socket will fit easily through the cut out on its side.
It's not a problem if your good at your work.

D

Dougs Third Go

Assuming the electricians have done the job properly, and working on the basis that it's a ring main circuit with 2 wires in the back of the socket, then there's no way you'll get the faceplate through the hole in the tile. Cut the hole in the tile to the size of the backplate, take the socket off the wall, fit the tile, grout, then refit the socket. Job done
wrong pal, done easy if the wires are long enough. Done it hundreds of times without removing socket face, not a debate on my behalf, just a fact.

W

White Room

I'm no sparks but where is the earth wire which makes 3, the ring main would have wires going in and out....

F

Fliselege

Have things changed since I escaped UK? A socket outlet part of a ringmain has 6 cables terminated to the back. 2 legs live, 2 legs neutral & 2 legs earth. I could usually pass the plate through a cut hole as long as the cables weren't too short.

M

Mr Tiler

Hey is cutting a hole in the middle of the tile for a socket. To thread the socket through the tile do you usually have to un-wire the socket with the hole in the tile being smaller than the socket.
You mark the tile up to the back box that sits in the wall that ensures you dont have any gaps around the face of the socket, shouldnt really have a problem twisting the case unless wires are too short

M

Mr Tiler

As others have said, if the hole is cut accurately then the socket will pass through easily.
Use a wallpaper scraper or similar to push adhesive all the way around the edges of the hole as this will give the tile a bit more strength and therefore providing you don't over tighten the screws should be no mishaps.
Why have you commented on this? Lol its from last xmas only just noticed lol

W

White Room

This is the one I done

Cutting.jpg

Reply to Hole in middle of tile for socket in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, What would be the best way to cut holes in 10mm marble tiles for electrical sockets...
Replies
Views
Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views
This is the Plumbers Forums is now Plumbers Talk Discussion Thread As always; a simple ‘logo’...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB