Discuss Hollow porcelain tiles. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

I would ask them to remove the cracked tile as it needs replacing now, at that point you can see how it is fixed and if the tile is fully supported.

What type and weight of glass did you drop on it? It does sound odd that the tile would break before the glass but could have been a freak of nature and the glass caught the tile on a sweet spot.

At this point I wouldn't get in to a war of words with the tiler/supplier but just explain your concerns. If they are a decent firm they will try to ease those concerns and replacing the broken tile is a perfect opportunity for them to demonstrate that the work was carried out correctly. If it was a freak of nature then pay them for the original job and also a bit on top to cover the broken tile. If not and the floor has been poorly laid, then fight them all the way.

C

Colour Republic

The thing is there are in excess of 100 tiles with a solid sound to them. The worst sound like you are knocking on a piece of plywood fixed to a frame if that makes sense. My concerns are about the whole floor rather than the damaged spot.

If there are 100 solid sounding tiles but 95% of it sounds hollow.. just how many tiles did you have laid!!!!

As mentioned above it could be that the tiles have debonded, either the adhesive didn't stick to the floor or it didn't stick to the tile.

You're not going to learn much until you take a tile up.

Has any grout cracked anywhere?

U

UnhappyCustomer

If there are 100 solid sounding tiles but 95% of it sounds hollow.. just how many tiles did you have laid!!!!

As mentioned above it could be that the tiles have debonded, either the adhesive didn't stick to the floor or it didn't stick to the tile.

You're not going to learn much until you take a tile up.

Has any grout cracked anywhere?

No grout has cracked yet.

We we are talking somewhere in the region of 200 tiles laid.

U

UnhappyCustomer

Yeah sorry, should have read a bit more before posting. What made me ask that question is, is it block and beam? Solid floor but, often sounds hollow.

Please explain a bit more. When the floor was drilled to relocate the stop **** it was rock solid and in no way sounded hollow. There are also hollow spots on the solid floor (concete floor over solid insulation). I'm just wondering why the hollow Spots appear random and the broken tile has cracked. Would this not be an indication that the tile was not bonded?

U

UnhappyCustomer

Ok, place the palm of your hand on the floor and chap the tiles with your other hand, can you feel a small vibration? If so then it sounds to me like the tiles have not bonded to the floor. In this case I'd start some exploratory work and get a tile lifted to see what's going on.

On a hollow part there is a slight vibration nothing on the solid parts.

U

UnhappyCustomer

Without a picture we are really just guessing. You say the tiles where not dabbed? A sketchy guess from me is adhesive has started skinning and tiles not back buttered but as I say, it's just a guess.

I understand, but how would you suggest I address it with the supplier?

I take it I am correct in not paying while there appears to be such issues.

T

The D

solid bed will look like this IMG_1732 (956x1280).jpg and dot and dab will look like this images.jpg

Reply to Hollow porcelain tiles. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB