UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hollow section under porcelain 600 x 600 tile, floor finished 2 months ago. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tilesponge

Hi,

I had the whole bottom floor of my house tiled with 600 x 600 polished porcelain. Great job but there is a single tile where one corner (say 200 x 200) is hollow underneath (hollow sound when I rap it with my knuckles). I'm really worried about this breaking when one of my kids inevitably jumps on it. Is there any way to fill the hollow space under the tile without disturbing the tile? The grouting is about 3mm wide.

Thanks guys!

M

Mike

it would be best to have the tile re-laid. did you get a pro to do it? ask him to come back do it. i hope it's not been dot and dabbed or you could have more like that which over time you may notice. if you are doing the job yourself cut all the grout lines around the tile (carefully) with a stanley knife then smash the 'hollow' tile to remove. if you try lifting with a screwdriver/ chisel etc chances are you'll damage the other tile. good luck

S

Spud

cut out the grout joint at right angles to where the hollow area is pour water down the joint until it wont take any more mix up a slurry or grout and water and add some bonding agent in it,pour this over the joint and the slurry is pulled under the tile as the specific gravity of the slurry displaces the water, keep going over the joints until all the water is displaced and then clean the area leave for 24 hrs and then tap the tile it will be 100% solid and you wont have to lift any tiles up

Last edited by a moderator:
T

taran

Hi All = TileSponge - Did this method work.

I also have a similar problem on 600 x 300 polished porcelain. The tiles were laid on a 9mm bed of white rapidset, but I have found that there are maybe 10 tiles that sound hollow on some parts of the tile. There is glue underneath, and when tapped I get a short hollow sound, were the tile is hitting the glue underneath quite quickly - almost as if the adhesive hasnt bonded to the tile in a few places, - the rest of the floor is great, with no issues. Any advise would be great - also I havent had it grouted yet, as it needs to be sealed first....

T

taran

Hi

Will try and get pics done later today/tomorrow

Tile was my friend, hes not a pro - hes a brickie by trade, but his tiling is good also. Couldnt afford a pro unfortunately!

Hes gone cyprus for a week or 2, so wanted advice here, so I dont have to wait for him to get back to rectify the problem - hes a good guy and would come back if I asked!

Loose tile or 2 I dont mind removing and relaying, its the ones that have not stuck properly i.e a corner, or one side etc - there are cira 10 tiles in question

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hollow section under porcelain 600 x 600 tile, floor finished 2 months ago. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
10 minutes ago Add bookmark #1 Which mapei adhesive ( it's convenient for me to buy this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Seeking ideas for filling in a cut-out section of a porcelain tile floor. I removed a display...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.