UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hollow sounding Porcelain tiles recently laid. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jonnyd

Hello again,

Well my tale of woe has just about reached a conclusion, with most of the tiles becoming loose and the builder not reeplying to my phone calls. So I am in need of a solution to fit underfloor heating over ashfelt flooring/bitumen. i.e. I don't really want to raise the floor by much, so if there something I can put over the floor, then lay the UFH wire, and then porcelain tiles. Also does anyone recommend a builder to do this who lives in the Preston/Lancashire area of the North West. Many Thanks, Jonny

J

Jonnyd

Hello again, I have just taken 2 tiles up which were very loose and found that the adhesive has not stiuck to either tile.
It is also incredibly dry and comes away from the screed self levelling compound without damaging it. I am hoping that this will mean I can take up all the tiles, remove the adhesive, gently so as not to damage the UFH, and relay the majority of the tiles. I will obviously have to get some new tiles just in case any break.

Can anyone recommend an appropriate adhesive and grout, should they both be flexible?

Regards,

Jonny

S

SJPurdy

the adhesive not being adhered to the tile or screed could be (is probably) due to the heating being switched on to early and drying the adhesive before it had chemically cured/adhered properly. Yes both adhesive and grout should be classed as "flexible" (ie. minimum class c2 adhesive and cg2 grout). If you are having a tiler to rectify the work then i would let them examine the job and supply an apropriate adhesive. Please ensure the heater wires are switched off and the fuse removed for safety - also monitor continuity etc during the work (its no good sticking tiles down again if wiring is accidentaly damaged). Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hollow sounding Porcelain tiles recently laid. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hollow sounding Porcelain tiles recently laid.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.