Discuss Homemade Tile Printer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I saw something similar at the stone show. They had a machine that could print on stone. They did it for headstones and whatnot but they had plaques there with trucks, people's faces, they even did a logo for one of the other stands on some of their own stone. Brilliant stuff.

They way they did it,it would only weather naturally. Not sure if this would be quite the same.

M

Max_Damage

This method is a slant on an old process called 'groundlaying'. The printer deposits an adhesive onto the tile in either half tone dots,default dither or solid from the printer. This adhesive is then used to apply a powdered enamel colour which sticks to the adhesive. The tile is then fired in a pottery kiln or roller kiln to melt the enamel onto the tile glaze. Depending on the flux content of the enamel, it will fire glossy or matt. A layer of clear flux can be applied over the print to give extra gloss and make it weather proof. The process can be used on transfer paper in multiple colours using an adapted laser printer.
Printed Mugs and tiles can use the dye sublimation technique, but it isn't scratch resistant since the mug or tile has to be coated in pastic for the ink to attach to and it's not fired.

Reply to Homemade Tile Printer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Need to choose a grout for the above. For the black floor tiles 300x600 am thinking either...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Homemade Tile Printer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks