Discuss How ? Cement based TERRAZZO on a calcium sulphate screed....... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fergal

How? Cement based Insitu Terrazzo on a calcium sulphate screed......

Recently done a calcium sulphate screed for client,who now wants a cement based insitu terrazzo floor covering and i was wondering...

1) Has anyone done it before?
2) Which is better-Epoxy based Terrazzo or Cement based Terrazzo?
3) Can there be issues with it?
4) Why is it so hard to find anyone wh wants to do Cement based Terrazzo?

If anyone can help, with any of the above it would be great! :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

F

fergal

When you say prep is crucial,would it be possible to to put down a DPM or can you stick Terrazzo to something like Detra mat, so that there is 100% no possibility of the two materials coming togeather,as the client is worried about the Gyvlon screed pulling the moisture from the Terrazzo mix, the Terrazzo contractor the client has been talking to, says on a sand and cement screed they flood the floor with water ,let it sit for a time then remove the excess with a wet and dry hoover, them put down a cement slurry before placing the Terrazzo mix.

F

fergal

Would a good Acrylic primer do if it was done with two coats ,first 1-1 and the second neat,if we are doing a cement based leveling compound this is what we use and never have any problems with it.

Maybe the guy doing the Terrazzo would have to change his mix to allow for him changing the way he normaly works.ie not being able to wet up the sand and cement screed he usually lays on....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
this one is a little tricky as I am not familiar with Terazzo being laid this way. The only terrazo I have seen is done the old fashioned pressed wet bed method into fresh sand cement screed.

In terms of prep of the screed however if you are using a cement based adhesive I would always prefer a water dispersible epoxy primer as these act as a much more robust barrier to the migration of moisture borne sulphates which tend to be responsibl for the Ettringite delamination events. As you have the old fashioned stuff and have taken off the skin getting the epoxy into the screed would not be a problem as it can be on the newer low laitance screeds. I wonder if you might be better speaking to one of the gypsum based adhesive suppliers. Are you in Ireland by any chance Fergal. Laying the cement based levelling compound is the same as laying the cement based adhesive in terms of chemical incompatibility and I would always receomnd Gypsum levelling in preference to cement if possible. The heating MUST have been commissioned and run (it sounds like this has been done) The moisture sounds a bit borderline at 0.48%. I would probably be inclined to run the heating for another few days just to force out a little more moisture. I realise the general recomendations in terms of moisture but if you are using cement addy or leveller I would aim for about 0.3% moisture using the CM method.

Reply to How ? Cement based TERRAZZO on a calcium sulphate screed....... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m a complete amateur at this apart from an afternoon spent researching the internet. Two...
Replies
Views
Hi All. Ive done some research which has confused me more than when I started reading. So...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How ? Cement based TERRAZZO on a calcium sulphate screed.......
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.