Discuss Loose Porcelain slabs outside in the America Tile Forum / Advice Board area at TilersForums.com.

Hi I’m a complete amateur at this apart from an afternoon spent researching the internet.
Two years ago I had porcelain slabs put down on my back garden and recently noticed a lot of them have come completely loose, as I’m not attached whatsoever I can just lift them up.
It turns out the tiles weren’t primed with a slurry so haven’t adhered to the mortar bed. I’m weighing up my options, from what I can see there’s two;
1. Remove all loose slabs, rip up the mortar bed and redo them with slurry coating the tiles a a 4:1 sand to cement mix.
2. Use an outdoor tile adhesive to secure them to the existing mortar bed.

Option 2 seems easier, the mortar bed is in pretty good shape, seems to be compacted and hard with a few gaps here and there. Can anyone advise on how to fix this issue? Is option 1 or 2 better?
Thanks in advance!

Reply to Loose Porcelain slabs outside in the America Tile Forum / Advice Board area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello you Pro’s out there. I am embarking on replacing my current outdoor patio concrete slabs...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just after a quick bit of advice. The other half wants porcelain slabs for the patio...
Replies
Views
Hello l’m doing up a cottage in Dorset. I’m moving the kitchen into a ‘60’s built extension...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

USA Tile Forum Popular

America Tile Advice Trending

Advertisement

Rotherham
What member type are you?
  1. Homeowner

Thread Information

Title
Loose Porcelain slabs outside
Prefix
N/A
Forum
America Tile Forum / Advice Board
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond