UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How do I .. cut a 400mm half circle? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wrl-2

IMAG0086.jpg

As you can see from picture, this is the bottom of my staircase.
The tiles (ceramic) are 300mm x 600mm x 10mm.
The bottom/base of the staircase is half circle rounded, 400mm.

How do I cut/shape the tile?

W

wrl-2

Bri, Hi.

No the full tile is not touching the bottom of the stairs, it's actually about 20mm away. The stairs is actaually not square to the tiles, as a tiler you know all too well nothing is square. So not only do I need to make a 400mm half circle cut in the tile but it also needs an angled cut at the end of the half circle. Probably easy for you but for me .. this is why I'm here, for help .. lol

Thanks fella. :)

I

Ian

Bri, Hi.

No the full tile is not touching the bottom of the stairs, it's actually about 20mm away. The stairs is actaually not square to the tiles, as a tiler you know all too well nothing is square. So not only do I need to make a 400mm half circle cut in the tile but it also needs an angled cut at the end of the half circle. Probably easy for you but for me .. this is why I'm here, for help .. lol

Thanks fella. :)

Its quite a tricky one even for a pro. I would use a grinder to make the cut as I find them easier for cutting awkward shapes. As Whitebeam mentioned, try to template it first, then transfer it onto the tile. You might need a couple of goes at it, but even if your first attempt is wrong it'll give you an idea of what adjustments need to be made second time around.

S

Scott

I can see the masking tape on the bottom of the stairs and that makes it look like its touching. I dont think you will get that cut and down without breaking it. Too much stress on a small section from the curve to the edge of the tile for it to withstand cuting with a grinder or scoring and nipping.

If it was e id see if i could maybe get someone to water jet cut it, ir take it to a granite/stone company but i still think laying it will be tricky.

Have you thought about doing a small mosaic around it?

D

DHTiling

You want one of these..

Marcrist CC750 Curve Cutting blade

cc750-curve-220.jpg

The special dished shape of this blade allows it to cut curves in ceramic, porcelain and most stone.

The radius of the curve can be varied according to how far the blade is leaned towards the centre of the arc. Curves with radii as small as 100mm can be cut. Cutting with a more upright position will increase the radius to nearly a straight line

Tightest radii will be less achievable on thicker materials (over 15mm) as the blade will bind on its sides

Fits all 4 ½" and 5" grinders

Diameter 115m - Bore size 22.2mm

Price: £44.99 £53.99 Including VAT at 20%

Tradetiler.com Home

I'm with the template guys, make the template the same size as the tile, lay it along side the main tile allowing for joint size, then holding the paper still at one main point, trace around the shape of the stair, you'll get the hang of it. I also think your going to struggle, it might take a few attempts, it is doable, just take you time when nibbling and make the cuts and nibbles small pieces at a time, no point getting to near the end to break it.

Good luck.

EDIT: also score the shape with a scoring wheel, that will give your nibbled pieces a 'stop' of sorts.

Last edited:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
im with stewart with this,i would(if possible)cut the bottom of the step,wood is much easier that tile to cut. and were the original tiles not going under the step,can i make out one still under?
i think it would be nigh on impossible to cut,i think you could do it,eventually,but you would break a few in the prosess,the vibration alone from tooling it would break it,never mind trying to lift it in

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How do I .. cut a 400mm half circle? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.