Discuss How do I fix this mess? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Meurig

Our shower has been dripping for about six months, since we changed the boiler to a combi. This has led to some dripping under the bath (I think a dodgy seal around the plug hole) and is generally causing problems. So on the weekend I put in some isolation valves and removed the shower - with a view to replacing it. No more shower = no more drip :) I'm now running a beast of a dehumidifier (see photo5) to dry up under the bath while I work out how to fit the new mixer shower I bought...

Meanwhile, the reason I'm here: I noticed some tiles were loose on the side wall. I've removed a bunch of loose tiles to expose a damp plastered wall. (see photo1) I'm guessing the wall got wet because the tiles grouting failed between the tiles. I think the reason for this is the lack of any gap between the tiles (crowding) so hardly any grout could be used (see photo4). The good news is that the dehumidifier is doing it's job, should be dry by morning (see photo2).

The whole bathroom will be re-done in about a year, so how do I fix this mess cheaply and easily? It doesn't need to look great, but does need to be waterproof.

Do I just scrape off what I can, prep the plaster in some way, then stick the tiles back on? Since I'm leaving some tiles with no gap, will it be okay for a year or so if I put the tiles back on with no gap and just grout as best as I can?

How do I prep the wall? What adhesive do I use? I've never tiled before but I figure this is a good time to learn as it's only got to be "good enough" not perfect. I don't really want to spend loads for what will be little more than a temporary fix.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg

Any and all feedback would be gratefully received!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
M

Meurig

Spent the morning stripping the rest of the tiles (only a few stubborn ones left) then went to B&Q this afternoon.

The sales assistant was utterly unhelpful, swearing blind they didn't stock it (twice). Despite this we eventually located the PVC cladding in the timber section, next to the wood cladding.

While a helpful suggestion, it turns out that PVC cladding is U.G.L.Y.!!!

So, any other suggestions?

Right now we're considering either something called splashwall (sorry, it seems I can't post URLs).

Or buying some coloured acrylic sheet and both sticking and screwing to the wall (as I've heard nothing sticks too well to acrylic).

Alternative suggestions welcomed!

P.S. It's taken 6 months to fix the leaky shower because we only bought the place six months ago and there have been bigger problems to sort out. This really is only going to be a temporary measure as we want to change the layout of the bathroom at some point in the next year. But I guess although temporary, I can't live with UPVC...

M

Meurig

I googled acrylic, seems it's a bad choice as it expands when it'd heated.

Thanks padtheplumber, that link looks good, I'll have a thorough look through!

Smltiling, that's pretty much what I'm thinking now - there must be some way to make the walls sound enough to tile on.

photo 5.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg

The pictures show to the current state of play. There's around 4 sq m to be covered, one wall is plasterboard (with a chunk missing that I'll replace) while the other is a brick wall, with sand and cement, then plaster all covered in some dodgy tile adhesive.

The plaster-boarded wall I figure is easy, cut out the section I've pulled the tiles off and put up new plasterboard (or hardi backer?) - tile onto that.

The brick wall is less easy - the plaster is (apart from a few spots) sound, but the remaining adhesive is not well bonded to the plaster. Do I scrape off what I can of the adhesive, sand the rest and tile on the plaster? do I screw board up over the plaster and live with that section of wall sticking out a little (how thick is hardi backer?) Or do I try and take off the plaster/sand and cement and put a fresh layer of plaster on - sounds quite tricky to me, but I figure the adhesive will compensate for any imperfections in the plastering.

Or is plastic panelling the way to go? Sticking a big sheet to the wall with some no more nails does seem easier than tiling...

M

Meurig

your wasting your money on drying it out,,,buying boards or whatever to finish the wall i would take the opportunity to re do it since its in such a state as it is

The trouble is we want to completely re-do the bathroom, move the toilet, replace everything etc. We're just not ready to do that yet. Until then I want something fairly nice, but to DIY so it's not too expensive. It's only got to last for about a year until we're ready to rip it all out and start over. I don't mind spending one or two hundred pounds, even if it is only for a year.

I know it's a tall order: an easy-ish to fit, not too expensive, waterproof surface that doesn't look too awful. But I've got to explore the options: I've already had some great feedback, thanks everyone! Sorry it's taking me a while to reply, I think my posts have to be moderated...

I

ian158

Our shower has been dripping for about six months, since we changed the boiler to a combi. This has led to some dripping under the bath (I think a dodgy seal around the plug hole) and is generally causing problems. So on the weekend I put in some isolation valves and removed the shower - with a view to replacing it. No more shower = no more drip :) I'm now running a beast of a dehumidifier (see photo5) to dry up under the bath while I work out how to fit the new mixer shower I bought...

Meanwhile, the reason I'm here: I noticed some tiles were loose on the side wall. I've removed a bunch of loose tiles to expose a damp plastered wall. (see photo1) I'm guessing the wall got wet because the tiles grouting failed between the tiles. I think the reason for this is the lack of any gap between the tiles (crowding) so hardly any grout could be used (see photo4). The good news is that the dehumidifier is doing it's job, should be dry by morning (see photo2).

The whole bathroom will be re-done in about a year, so how do I fix this mess cheaply and easily? It doesn't need to look great, but does need to be waterproof.

Do I just scrape off what I can, prep the plaster in some way, then stick the tiles back on? Since I'm leaving some tiles with no gap, will it be okay for a year or so if I put the tiles back on with no gap and just grout as best as I can?

How do I prep the wall? What adhesive do I use? I've never tiled before but I figure this is a good time to learn as it's only got to be "good enough" not perfect. I don't really want to spend loads for what will be little more than a temporary fix.

View attachment 53337 View attachment 53336 View attachment 53335 View attachment 53334 View attachment 53333

Any and all feedback would be gratefully received!

why wait a year or spend of a temporary fix..if you can't afford it now..borrow the money..the amount you spend on a temp fix with out way the interest on the payments won't it ?..rates are so low now..apart from that it may get worse not better!

I

ian158

Oh yep Ian. Go and get a loan!? Possibly the most ridiculous post I've read on this forum to date. Including Mr T's posts.

oh you can be so negative at times...it doesn't make economic sense to spend money on a dehumidifier...panels etc... or a temp fix for a year..either way having your bathroom done is inconvenient wether its now or next year..they're half way there...crack on..and over boarding wet sodden plasterboard is hardly good advice either..its lost its strength....the plaster skim will have had it to..admittdley screw and fix hardi for quickness but just seems mad not to do it right and now.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
In your own words the interest on the loan you're suggesting would be the same cost as a temporary fix.

I weigh up the cost of plastic panels to be around £150. He already has a big de-hum there, and the walls are damp not rotten.
But interestingly how much of a loan do you think he will need to do all the work in a new bathroom? Don't think the interest on that figure would compare if im honest.

The key thing the user posted was he wants to save to do the job properly in about a year, but wants to get the area useable. Properly. . . . .in a year. . . . . .

Plastic panels will easily last until then and its an install a diy'er can comfortably do themselves.

I don't think encouraging loans is a good idea. Also not giving a viable and temporary option could lead to the user calling in bob the builder and being back on this forum in a couple of months. What do you say to him then? Should of got a pro in? They can't before it yet and want a proper job in the future when they can.

Reply to How do I fix this mess? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
These are kitkats on a mesh backing. Not entirely sure how the tiler has managed to do this...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB