Discuss How do they get away with it in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jimmy Doc

I was starting a job today replacing a living room ceiling after a pipe burst over the winter and destroyed it, it's a new build and not been lived in so thats why its only getting sorted now. had just started plastering when in comes the tiler to start laying the kitchen floor, he literally just started banging down tiles straight away, was no marking out or nothing:yikes:,he just started off in one corner and of he went, the floor was that thick with dust (screed floor) you could see your foot print in it, no primer used at all, how can people get away with this, felt like telling him to stop, not sure how it finished up as i was finished early:thumbsup:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
im just on a extention now,and the houses is about 25years old,a biggish 4 bed detatched,nice area(for burnley),the drylining was stuck on with board finish:yikes:,i lie not,a dab in each corner,and one in the middle,onto breeze block as well,how these boards dident fall off when putting pictures up,i will never know,must of been held on by the scrim:lol:

S

SandyFloor

I would'nt touch a new build with a barge pole.

I was round at a 4 year old luxury house on Wednesday to see if I could repair some damage carpet fitters did. The owner from new was telling me the problems they've had since buying their 'dream house' and they were substantial......... heating, roof leaks,plumbing leaks, floor tiling, poor finishing etc etc. They've got it all sorted out now but are putting the place on the market as they've concluded they will always associate the house with stress and will always be waiting for the next problem.

W

White Room

I started back 71 on site and it was council new builds, solid plastering, clerk of works and solid built...

2 years later there was paramount, super thin walls..

Another site, Wimpey, about the same time, shuttered house frames, poured no fines concrete and this was a super fast building project for the council..dry linning, had a job to reskim some walls in one house which local anyway and the dry linning was bouncing all over the place..

This is'nt a new problem, in London a timber frame project burned to the ground recently and there was talk of going back to solid construction..

Lets be fair, a lot of 100 year old propertys are still standing but could they afford to build like nowadays, probably not.

Sorry about the waffling.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

On one

im just on a extention now,and the houses is about 25years old,a biggish 4 bed detatched,nice area(for burnley),the drylining was stuck on with board finish:yikes:,i lie not,a dab in each corner,and one in the middle,onto breeze block as well,how these boards dident fall off when putting pictures up,i will never know,must of been held on by the scrim:lol:
Did some alterations to a house a few years ago and found exactly the same thing- dabbed with board finish,and thought you cheapskates,thing is they had a better hold on the blocks than todays dri wall!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I started back 71 on site and it was council new builds, solid plastering, clerk of works and solid built...

2 years later there was paramount, super thin walls..

Another site, Wimpey, about the same time, shuttered house frames, poured no fines concrete and this was a super fast building project for the council..dry linning, had a job to reskim some walls in one house which local anyway and the dry linning was bouncing all over the place..

This is'nt a new problem, in London a timber frame project burned to the ground recently and there was talk of going back to solid construction..

Lets be fair, a lot of 100 year old propertys are still standing but could they afford to build like nowadays, probably not.

Sorry about the waffling.

we had the same problem up here just after christmas,a row of 9, 3 story new builds,wood framed,we don't see that much up here but has been more and more these last few years. :thumbsdown:
kids got in and set fire to them,ive been looking for the video,can't find it,they went up,and down, in about half hour,fastest spread of fire ive seen.
they was not plastered out,i priced them,got them,was going to start in the next month or so,30 grands worth of work,up in smoke:mad2:

Reply to How do they get away with it in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How do they get away with it
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.