UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How do you grout with flexible grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Generally I've always found them to be very similar to normal grout. So just work to smallish areas and wash off, then move onto the next area, wash off. And so on.

Avoid getting water into ungrouted joints though - so overlap your areas and never wash off the edge of the area you're cleaning until you've started to grout the area next to it (if that makes any sense at all).

M

MPM

The Issue I have is Bal have great instructions on their packaging, Mapei have no instructions on their packaging, I have been grouting for 12 years and never had a problem before until I used Mapei 132 Beige, Mapei have concluded after a site visit that I had cleaned off with to much water on the sponge, i was given a lesson on how to do it correctly. What makes me angry is the fact that there are no instructions printed on the product. They assume that professionals and DIY's alike know there way of grouting. I'm going to challenge Mapei on this matter to ensure that no one else gets caught out.
Would love to know if any one else has been caught out like this and how they got on with correcting the patchy colour that has been left.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
if you have used nothing but bal grouts for years, and then use mapei grout it is completely different to use, as i found out once at my expense !!

only used it a couple of times when the customers have allready bought, but its like most things the more you use it the more you get used to it, but its not my prefered grout, i find it gose off to quickly for my liking.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
aint got a clue mate, customer bought it, all i know is it dried in the joints in about 20 mins, with bal grouts i give it a quick wash over then leave it 40 mins then give it a final wash over......to late with this stuff it had already gone off..lol

this was a couple of years ago so i dont know if its changed at all, like i said if i used it more i would get used to it, but for now i'll stick with bal..:thumbsup:

B

bugs183

I do know what you mean about these grouts. I had lots of problems with the Bal grey grouts shading, i spoke to the rep and they were less than helpful. So i've swapped to Mapei.
I mainly do floors and i find their grouts brilliant on floors, as i find they go off just at the right speed, but the other day i used some on some ceramic wall tiles and it went off way too fast.
So from now on it's Bal or Dunlop white for the walls, as for their new coloured wall grouts i've not had to use any yet, if its got microban in then they are tough to work with.
Then Mapei for the floors.

M

MPM

The Mapei Beige 132 I used went patchy in colour, why I'm mad was because the day before I spent de grouting the whole en suite due to a sub contractor tiler grouting it for me, when I was back on site he was grouting and It had already gone off, In all It was a shambles so i spent the next few hours getting it to look half decent. The next morning It was patchy in colour. I was not to supprised so I raked the lot out all day long and re grouted it myself, with extra care and attention to detail as I have done for years, the result was patchy coloured grout. Retirement seemed good at that point. I'm encouraged that others don't have any problems with Mapei grouts but cross that these products are a fine line to work with. Thanks for your reply

D

d noulton

after having used mapei grout for several years never had a proplem no matter what colour including 132 mix properley with a mechanical mixer superb stuff
customer today supplied bal limestone grout hated it
no problem with bal its what your used to using fine lines as mentioned above
tg do good prices on all there gear mapei sponsered
topps the same bal sponsered
make your own mind up whatever you choose you will be right

D

DHTiling

Have read your grout threads with interest.

Any tiler who is worth his salt should know how to let a grout firm before cleaning down , doing so will always leave a grout job with consistent colour.

The patching most mention is polymer leaching and not bad grout mixing etc,

So IMHO , learn to grout properly and not diss grouts by any manufacturer unless you have shown you have an actual grout problem , then get it tested etc.

Over wetting a grout joint that has not had enough setting time will pull polymers time and time again , don't take offence at this , just clean down at the right time.

M

MPM

Ok got the messages.

When is the right time to clean down? does not say that on the packet, therefore any body using these products for the first time is more than likley to have a problem of one sort or another. Given that, don't we have a responsbillity to the public to ensure that risk is minimised. have another look at the post 4&5 This is about getting manufactures to highlight potential issues with clear labelling and taking responsbillity for their products. Can you understand where I'm coming from? I've accepted the fact that the grouting has been washed out. what are the manufactures doing to inform the public.
Thanks for your reply

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How do you grout with flexible grouts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.