Discuss How flexible is flexible addy in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

Have a job to fix in a dooer-upper where the last owner passed away. House has been sitting half finished for 3 years, new owners bought it last year but haven't touched it until now.

There's a wet tray in screeded bathroom that has a small movement near the wall. When I say small movement, you can hear it hitting screed below when forcing ones weight on it. It sounds to me about 300mm sq is a few mm away from the screed and can hear it knocking. I've recommended a full lift up and redo it but these clients are on a tight budget and are asking is there another cheaper method around it.

I'm not to sure that flexible addy will allow this amount of movement so Thought best to ask here first.

They asked would it be OK to drill few 1/2 holes through the tray and fill with self leveller underneath to fill the void or will this compromise the tray.

If none of the 2 is acceptable, maybe dig under the tray without actually lifting it and try fill these small voids.

Thoughts please.

H

Handyeire

I would replace altogether personally. You will have to retank it either way and any work you do will likely make you accountable for issues in the future.

It aint tanked yet. There's tanking kit there but it's 5 yr old so wouldn't use it tbh. It's a bare bathroom with wet tray in floor. All tiles are in boxes but owners don't want them used because they are outdated.

D

Dumbo

Have a job to fix in a dooer-upper where the last owner passed away. House has been sitting half finished for 3 years, new owners bought it last year but haven't touched it until now.

There's a wet tray in screeded bathroom that has a small movement near the wall. When I say small movement, you can hear it hitting screed below when forcing ones weight on it. It sounds to me about 300mm sq is a few mm away from the screed and can hear it knocking. I've recommended a full lift up and redo it but these clients are on a tight budget and are asking is there another cheaper method around it.

I'm not to sure that flexible addy will allow this amount of movement so Thought best to ask here first.

They asked would it be OK to drill few 1/2 holes through the tray and fill with self leveller underneath to fill the void or will this compromise the tray.

If none of the 2 is acceptable, maybe dig under the tray without actually lifting it and try fill these small voids.

Thoughts please.
Flexible adhesive isn't very flexible and will not allow for that movement .

D

Dumbo

What's the tray made of?

When there was an uncoupling issue on a membrane product a few years ago, their answer was to drill small holes in the grout line and pump an epoxy resin under the loose membrane.

We never had it done - we just replaced the whole floor - but I believe in your case it could work if it's tanked after.
Mapei do something I believe called epojet it is thinner than water apparently

*edited* no advertising or phone numbers in public threads

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Handyeire

What's the tray made of?

When there was an uncoupling issue on a membrane product a few years ago, their answer was to drill small holes in the grout line and pump an epoxy resin under the loose membrane.

We never had it done - we just replaced the whole floor - but I believe in your case it could work if it's tanked after.

Do you mean tank the tray aswell?

Does epoxy resin not soften up when in heated areas? If not, I could drill a few holes and feed the epoxy with a tube device and fill the whole area underneath. Any ideas on how much epoxy costs.

Just had a thought, doesn't epoxy resin heat up when going off. Would it not melt the fibreglass tray underneath if was filled few inches thick in places if there's voids this deep?

H

Handyeire

Hello again. I decided to lift tray and screed underneath. The screed was fully under the tray so I'm baffled as how it wasn't set properly. Can anyone recommend how to bed it in now. I'm thinking maybe a wet sand and cement mix then screw it in when S&C sets. I will be installing no more ply around this and I only have about 3 inch around the tray where it'll be new screed. How long do I wait before laying the no more ply or can it go down few days after tray installed.

Edit. Would I get away with using fondu under wet tray?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dumbo

Hello again. I decided to lift tray and screed underneath. The screed was fully under the tray so I'm baffled as how it wasn't set properly. Can anyone recommend how to bed it in now. I'm thinking maybe a wet sand and cement mix then screw it in when S&C sets. I will be installing no more ply around this and I only have about 3 inch around the tray where it'll be new screed. How long do I wait before laying the no more ply or can it go down few days after tray installed.

Edit. Would I get away with using fondu under wet tray?
What is fondu

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How flexible is flexible addy in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB