UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How good are you at spotting a real business oppertunity from a scam. A test for u! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

What do you think. Is this e-mail just a slick sales pitch (a way of making money?) Or do you recon its got credible intentions?

The bottom line is that we would have to PAY for the work!

(Am I a sceptic - Or should I go for it - I dont know the answer...)

[FONT=&quot]Dear [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Richard[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was recently at the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]National Homebuilding and Renovating Show[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and I was quite taken by your business, so much so that I’ve been researching your company to find out a little more. The reason for contacting you is that I am currently working on a series of case study films about successful businesses to be featured on The Daily Telegraph’s website. It would appear that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]365 Drills[/FONT][FONT=&quot] has displayed some real innovation particularly during the recent economic downturn and I think you may have a really interesting story to tell (from a journalistic perspective). I’d like to organise a convenient time to find out more about your company and determine whether your story is strong enough to be turned into a high quality film for the website. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Daily Telegraph Business Club is seeking to expand the video content on its extremely successful website (www.telegraph.co.uk/businessclub ). In particular, they are interested in developing the series of Secrets of Success films on the site, as these are proving popular with visitors and attracting considerable traffic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our Film Company (see more information on us at the end of the email) has been brought in to develop the documentaries, shoot and produce the films. Each five-minute film will focus on one company and look at what has made it so successful, the company’s business strategy and what differentiates them from the competition. From a Telegraph Business Club perspective, the films are designed to be engaging, informative and interesting business insights for visitors and members of the club. That means each film will be compellingly narrated and will include interviews with senior executives in the business to identify the strategy and emphasising the passion within the company.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If we can come up with a compelling feature and make the documentary, you will be provided with a digital copy of the film for your own marketing purposes. You may wish to place it on your own website, send it to your clients or use it for recruitment purposes, etc. However you choose to use it, you will no doubt find it a powerful endorsement for your business.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are making 15 films in this series. We have already committed to make 7 of those films with the following companies: Land Rover, City & Guilds of London, Proco, Office Depot, Botanix, Phonak and Constantine. We are looking for a further 8 companies to work with.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Until recently, these films have only been offered to full sponsors of the Telegraph Business Club. But the Telegraph Business Club is now very keen to build on the popularity of the site’s video content.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a result, the 15 companies to feature in this series of films will not need to pay the full sponsorship fee.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is this the killer line guys:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instead they only need to cover the cost of creating the film. This cost will depend on the filming and production required, but an initial conversation will give us enough information so that we may provide a project estimate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
The Telegraph Business Club is hugely supportive of the project, having seen the success of the previous films we have made. The client covers the cost of the film production and the distribution, but The Telegraph Business Club covers the cost of the in paper and online promotion.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are contacting approximately 40 companies in this phase to find the additional 8 that we would like to make films about. We have agreed with the Telegraph Business Club that we will work on a first come first served basis. We will work with the first 8 companies we find to have good success stories and are happy to share in the costs of producing the films.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please call or email me as soon as possible with some suitable times for us to speak and to explore whether this is an opportunity worth pursuing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kind Regards,[/FONT]
(Film Company - Names removed in case of legal mumbo jumbo)

D

Deleted member 9966

Re: How good are you at spotting a real business oppertunity from a scam. A test for

I've just placed a recruitment advert in several of the local papers and got a call (via our sales team) from a company offering to lift the advert from the newspapers I had it published in, and they would for a small fee, place it on the front of a new recruitment magazine that's due to go live this month. Would I be interested in it? No. For a start their catchment area is too wide. I need people close to the factory and secondly, if I wanted it in a bespoke recruitment magazine, I would have put it there to start with.

Just send them a one liner Richard - I'm interested in discussing this matter further, please call me on XXXXXXXXX
If they don't call you back, then I'd doubt it was genuine.

D

Deleted member 1779

Re: How good are you at spotting a real business oppertunity from a scam. A test for

Yes actually to begin with I was having the same sort of thoughts as you guys....
(IE: Slick sales pitch, Trying it on, Just getting people to pay for videos, What customers of mine would read the telegraph?)

And then something else in my gut thought - no wait - hang on - sometimes I can be too CYNICAL so perhaps I should give them a go.

But having read your comments I think we are all of the same mind. I guess if I look at it this way

"What have THEY got to lose.... NOTHING!" then it self answers!! Because what have I got to lose.... "MONEY"

I think the readers of the daily telegraph will have to just be disappointed and not discover the journey of PORSADRILL.

In short: WHAT WAS I THINKING !!!!

208650_10150146790127014_617362013_6536326_7749674_n.jpg

D

Daz

I reckon the email is genuine.
I reckon the opportunity is a complete waste of money and effort.

They are contacting 40 companies which will result in a lot of meetings (and expense) to create a shortlist, the costs associated will be amortised into the production costs.

How much new business do you think this video will generate? What demographic does your new business come from and where is the best place to target them in your opinion?

If you are looking to sell your business, or attract investment, then this could be the place to market your business, Richard, but otherwise I would see this as a waste of time and money.

I'd never heard of the Daily Telegraph Business Club until your email :lol:. Have you checked the website to review the other types and quality of videos?

Good luck with your decision,

Daz

U

user123

It's just selling advertising space really, doesn't matter which format it comes under, and videos might be a new thing for some businesses who may jump at the chance and then kick themselves. Advertising space sales teams are so slick, and mostly it really doesn't work, the return is minimal. So yeah, unless you are really really desperate enough to clutch a very expensive straw, just bin it.

D

Deleted member 1779

Great ideas on contacting the MD's of other companies.

I think I will give the entire project a wide birth tho. As mentioned above what would be the benefit of a video of 365Drills being on the Telegraph?

Errr Not a lot! And they at least say up front its going to cost me money.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How good are you at spotting a real business oppertunity from a scam. A test for u! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views
O
    • Winner
FIXRADIO are looking for 20 nominations for their Wall and Floor Tiler of the year 2019...
Replies
Views
The TilersForums Arms is the business advice area of the forum that is out of the view of the...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
D
Ok, so i've been looking into creating a website, as we all know, how important our presence...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.