Discuss website creation in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

To be fair Andy getting to the top of google in your particular area is not hard at all. In fact i've never seen such a lack of competition for first page!

I scrolled through the first 4 pages of results and there are only 2 actual tilers websites shown (Yours and another who is slightly above you), the rest are all directories until you get to page 4 and a tiler from Bolton turns up in the results and the only reason he does is because he's named a 2 pictures on his website "tiling in Lancashire". So it's not so much that Yell have done an amazing job for you it's more to do with the fact no other tilers have even bothered to try and get a web presence!

The site is nice enough to look at and does its job in getting work, but it's not well written from an SEO point of view (SEO = Search Engine Optimisation and this is what gets you to the top of google). So whilst you might be happy, you're still paying too much for what you have. You could have had the same site built by a web designer for £300-£400 as a one off fee and then paid £5 a month in hosting fees. So a total cost of say £460 in your first year and £60 there after. Instead you are paying £800 in your first year, then £600 there after with Yell!

If you lived in an area with much more web competition (say Manchester) your current website would probably be way down on pages 6-10. i.e. No where! However Yell can still promise first page of Google because they would be using some of that £50 a month on paid google ads which means you get placed on the R/H side of the organic results and every time someone clicks on the link, Google get paid a small fee. They are laughing all the way to the bank because they don't have to spend a penny in your area. It's not a long term web strategy for a small business.

Personally I think any small business looking to maintain their own website should look no further than Wordpress, it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. It's a pretty powerful platform. But the most appealing aspect of Wordpress is that it's so well supported, not only by wordpress themselves, in the way of online manuals, but by the millions of users worldwide who share their knowledge. If you have a problem or don't know how to do something, within seconds you can find a youtube video giving you step by step instructions on how to do it, even for really obscure problems.

DemoXpert judging by your posts I think you'd do well to get a decent webdesigner to build you a website for £300-500 and then get them to show you the basics on how to maintain it and add blog posts and what not. Your area of Basingstoke also doesn't have much web competition so should be easy to get to first page quite quickly. Again if you lived in highly competitive area like London then I wouldn't be saying this and say you need to do some serious work or spend serious money to get to page 1.

Disclaimer: No doubt someone is bound to click on the link in my sig and notice the Colour Republic website isn't the greatest world, but it was when I wrote it 6-7 years ago and ranked really well for multiple trades. It's due a major overhaul and swapping over to wordpress. Besides it's not even my main website anymore, this one is - Home and that one ranks on page 1 for everything I want it to and was built by myself in wordpress. Its still not finished either!
Interesting reading, n some good advice, i realise now I've paid way too much with yell, fortunately its only a one year contract, it is paying for itself over and over each month but spoze when you add it up over the year its a lot more than I should be payin out for a website, doubt they'll let me keep my website but be interested to find out on that, will look into things in depth when contract up in Jan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to website creation in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

At Boston Fire and Flood, we specialize in fast and reliable water damage restoration services...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm really hoping someone can help as we are doing 4 bathrooms in our home and everyone...
Replies
Views
Hello lads and ladies, I've been working on a new website. www.FreeRatedTraders.com. It's a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
website creation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Australia Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond