Discuss How many made a careerl from the intensive courses in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

0667firmi

Hi,
This is an area where i am after (if you would be so kind) to let me know if you have completed one of the intensive training courses, and whether you have been successful in gaining employment and a reasonable standard of living. the reason i ask this is i am leaving the army in months few and before i dedicate evrything to being a tiler i would like the bare facts. you can be as blunt as you like. this is a big risk for me as i have 5 kids and a wife so i need/owe it to my family to succeed and give them a roof over there heads and food.

your help i this matter is much appreciated

Rob

A

AMtek

I would say go on a short course first to see how you like it and if its something you think you could do as a career. You won't learn everything on an intensive course but it will give you a good idea of what the job involves and the rest you can learn as and when you need to (an iphone and youtube would be very handy. haha). My best piece of advice would be to pick and choose your first jobs, don't take on anything that is beyond you and don't let the customer rush you, give yourself plenty of time so you can do the best job you can

J

jwatson

i started on one of these intensive courses and i was hooked. but wouldnt be enough imo. practice is a big issue, more you practice the better you get and you cannot do this on a short course. i enrolled on a college course which was part time and learned far more that way. This site is great for me aswel, as alot of great quality advice is given regulary and free.

these multiple £100's courses are not the way IMO. you'd be better offering your services for free for a few weeks to a local tiler and getting a taste for it.

0667firmi

thanks for your comments guys DAZ if only i could explain how motivated i am i would work 24hrs a day if it meant i had a better life for my family where would be the best place to try and find a tiler that would be willing to take me under his wing. i could make them alot of money i love working and my attention to detail is huge. basically my decision is that im going to do the course and i know a few contracts managers at a few building firms so im gonna take the risk, i will keep checkng his for any further info. again many thanks guys and girls

M

Marble Life Ltd

This is a fairly big issue. I know people who have done these courses who ultimately failed miserably and I know others who have done the courses and have had reasonable success and in three cases very succesful. The ultimate question is, what is a success? Some people are happy to just tick along earning a living and others want the World. TESCO are a successful supermarket but that doesn't mean Budgens or Co-Op aren't does it? I think you would be better to look at your current salary, then look at what your target earnings are for tiling. Once you have decided this post the figure and I then I think you may get a better response as to whether or not it is achievable. My wife went and trained as a driving instructor 8 years ago they told here £30-£35K was easily achievable. We are both old enough and experienced enough to know that this sort of figure would only be achievable working 7 days a week and 10 hours a day. But for her it was about being self employed, running a car for virtually next to zero and being able to have holidays and look after the grandchildren when she wanted whilst earning a small modest income. So it worked for her but it probably wouldn't have worked for you. I know tilers who are happy to clear £400 a week and I know others who wouldn't be happy on double that. You need to take a step back and look at it logically.

Kev Martin
Marble Life Ltd

M

Mike

as already said the training course will teach you a lot but just the basics but i would advise going on one before learning with or helping out a tiler, i take it the army will pay for it anyway as a resettlement? being keen (as you are) is an important factor too. if you do a forum search you will find some comments /reviews on some of the training centres. i went on a course a few years ago with p.t.s. in warrington but it was crap really (the centres shut now i believe) where are you based mate, maybe someone on here can help you out. good luck

D

DHTiling

You seem to have done ok Kevin after all you are one of the short course trained in tiling and restoration.

It takes many many years to perfect and you are always learning , my best advice to the OP is to never rush a job., many will say they can slap xx amount of Mtrs on in a day but it is the finished job that counts and how well they are adhered etc.

You will get better and quicker with experience but take pride in your work and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone

M

Marble Life Ltd

You seem to have done ok Kevin after all you are one of the short course trained in tiling and restoration.

It takes many many years to perfect and you are always learning , my best advice to the OP is to never rush a job., many will say they can slap xx amount of Mtrs on in a day but it is the finished job that counts and how well they are adhered etc.

You will get better and quicker with experience but take pride in your work and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave

The post isn't about me or what I have done and achieved. I went an entirely different route after doing a short course in Tiling 6 years ago. I certainly did not do a short course in Restoration. However, I also applied years of business experience, was financially very stable and went after a different market.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How many made a careerl from the intensive courses in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Hi So I am trying to figure out how much to account for wastage for tiling a house, and I also...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys & Girls Iv been tiling for just over two years now. Needed a career change after years...
Replies
Views
dbstiling
D
Tiling Courses Virtually all private and commercial properties have tiling in them somewhere, so...
Replies
Views
Tiling Courses – Learn To Tile 2 Day Tiling Course An introduction to ceramic tiling and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How many made a careerl from the intensive courses
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.