Discuss How many mistakes can there be on one job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

A few weeks ago I got a call that a job was postopned for a while. Now this left me with a couple of days the following week with no work. As soon as I put the phone down and muttered a few choice words under my breath, the phone rang again.
The person calling wanted a floor and small kitchen splashback tiling. I couldnt get over there to see the job until the middle of the following week on a night time but the caller said just do it " and could i start on monday ?
Well I could start but didnt like doing a job without seeing it. The caller said its 8m2 floor, tiling under washer and dryer. The floor is screed and is good.
The wall tiling is 2m2, 2 course 100x100 and up into cooker space .
Well i thought ok and gave a price over the phone based on 2 days work. he baulked at the price and when I explained that it included adhesive and grout he said " We already have that" I asked what sort ? "Ummmmmm" he replied. Is it in a bucket or a bag, I asked..." Its in a bag" came his reply..
Anyway after asking a few more questions I lowered the price to take into account that I was labour only and said I would be there on the agreed date.

The floor never got done for a few reasons...There was half screed and very bumpy and half floor boards covered with cracking self leveller. IMG00211-20101206-1030.jpg IMG00210-20101206-1029.jpg
I explained it couldnt be tiled without over boarding etc but if I did overboard then there wasnt enough room for a floor tile under the appliances due to worktop height. It was left and they were discussing vinyl or such like.

Then I asked where the adhesive for the walls was, This is what I was given and check out how much adhesive they had for 2m2 :yikes: IMG00209-20101206-1019.jpg IMG00208-20101206-1019.jpg

Where were the bags I asked...." Oh the neighbour said this was better " :mad2::mad2:
The grout was no better and check the date IMG00206-20101206-1018.jpg IMG00207-20101206-1018.jpg :mad2::mad2::mad2:

I put the client right and said I would only use my own adhesive and grout and reverted to the original quote. i also said that seeing as they were taking the floor tiles back they could also return the adhesive and grout. In the end they were happy as they worked out the cost of adhesive I was charging them for was about a quarter of what they had paid.

So in the end I only got one days work but client was happy
IMG00213-20101206-1213.jpg IMG00214-20101206-1213.jpg IMG00212-20101206-1213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

nightmare......always pays to look at jobs ....but i must admit iv'e done a few on the phone this year when needing to fill in a few days in short notice..........why did they not tile to to bottom of the wall units?

No idea ? I suppose they thought it looked ok or maybe they dont like too many tiles....maybe they worked out how many it would take and thought it would cost too much...who knows what goes through the customers mind ?

Reply to How many mistakes can there be on one job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I'm currently dealing with the contractor from hell who has ruined job after job in my house...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone! Just want to say first of all that I am not a tiler or anything I’m just in need...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How many mistakes can there be on one job
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.