Discuss how many times can someone get it wrong in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

surrey
we have just taken over a job, where the tiler before had got it so wrong,
1 fixed to 6mm ply
2 did not seal floor
3 spot fixed floor and walls
4 600x400 tiles onto plaster , spot fixed
5 all floors are heated no ditra matting
6 grey adhesive on travertine
7 no flexible grout
8 butted together using sandpaper as joints which gave 0.5 joint
9 did not seal floors

And this guy says he has been tiling for 50 years , well its unbeleavable and they let him carry on for 8 plots, plumbers where telling me it was easy to repair the tiles as they could pull them off with there hands , so far they have striped 2 plots around 120m2 per unit , and do it in 3 days that must be a record and saved around 140m2 so far,
They had a meeting and asked him why , he said its the way he has tiled all the time , when they said its not what its recommend by adhesive and grout companys and bsi he said what do they know they only make the stuff , amazing

S

SandyFloor

It goes to show how long you've been doing something doesn't mean you've been doing it right for that time. I've come across some some older guys whose work is attrocious and they simply can't see it. I think the problem is they tiled for years when tiles were only 6" x 6". Large format, natural stone & ufh have left them behind and you can't teach an old dog new tricks at least not these old dogs. I should add I've met some great old tilers too.

surrey
its not old dogs new tricks he has never been taut to tile correctly to start with and thats what worries me the most , just does not relise what dangers he is put customers in . The weight of the travertine is enough to cause serous damage to someone life as its tiled the same way in showerooms and bathrooms with ceilings 2.7m2 height , its maybe time to walk if they have allowed him to carry on in 1 more plot when they where told to stop him, friend of the boss dont know what else to say really

D

DHTiling

It goes to show how long you've been doing something doesn't mean you've been doing it right for that time.
I've come across some some older guys whose work is attrocious and they simply can't see it. I think the problem is they tiled for years when tiles were only 6" x 6". Large format, natural stone & ufh have left them behind and you can't teach an old dog new tricks at least not these old dogs. I should add I've met some great old tilers too.

Very true, it just means they have done it wrong for all those years..:lol:

Reply to how many times can someone get it wrong in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

surrey
What member type are you?
  1. Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Classical ceramics ltd

Thread Information

Title
how many times can someone get it wrong
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.