Discuss How quick is your tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

J2 tiler

Just wondering how my speed would be to some others well i'll start this with grouting finished.

Bathroom polished porcelain 24m with thin border : it would take me three days

Bathroom ceramic 22m: I would usually do this in two days

Kitchen Floor ok but not great level wise : i'd get 14m done in either porcelain or ceramic

Standard kitchen with tiling window ledge walls 3m with 10x10 tiles with : take me 5 or 6 hours

So how slow or quick am i to you guys , so be honest dont give me your best day you average speed please.

S

Scott

Speed depends on the substrate, quality of tile and quality of finish you want to achieve. I only compare myself to other tilers by the quality of the finished job, speed with quality is achieved by many years of experience, and in my opinion, way down on the list of what's important when it comes to being a great tiler.

Wise words Stewart :)

Too many variables involved to put a time on.

My qustions are, whats the substrate for the pplished porcelain? Im assuming its either; render, backerboard or new plasterboard for the weight issues? I assuming your time doesnt include the preparation of the walls or sealing the tiles?

As for an unlevel floor? Are we to straighten that out or lay them 'uneven' I can tell you i reckon i could lay 20mts of uneven tiles in half a day :)

A

Abstract tiling

i seen some guys on a job 6 tilers and 2 labourers. they did 250 mtrs in the day, mind you it was ruff as hell, i got called to rip 40 mtrs up and tile it again. all the contactor was botherd about was geting the job handed over as quick as possible. there was loads you could have pulled on the job the brickys built a safe room and it was all out of level and plum and they still got away with it. id rather do a good job than worry about how fast i was.

K

Kingsley's

I'm pleased everyones coming back stating quality and not quantity. When I've worked on sites in the past several of the tilers go on about how many metres they can throw up, as though it's a race. I've always cared about quality and not really had an eye on my speed. One tiler I was on a site with told me his most productive day was 72m. No surprises, his finish was one of the worst I've seen. The contractor sent me back to snag his work - it took me 2 weeks!

J

J2 tiler

Good replys lads i would be a very picky tiler i'd always use the arrows on the back to position every tiles thae same way, also i would be very fussy about lippage. Also they times i done were on square rooms no boxing or evening walls but i usually would give myself three days to do a bathroom. Well i guess i should be happy with my speed then cause i feel tiling is a job ya cant find a way to rush even if ya want to.

Attachments

• camera 008.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 134
  • camera 063.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 123
H

hillhead

I actually know 2 guys who can tile a full bathroom in a full day, unreal to see but one is for sure a very good tiler. Other has been chased from certain jobs.
The first guy and a bro of his with one labourer tiled 370 mt2 of 8" non slip tiles a month or so ago ! Everyone has different speeds and I believe it's down to hunger too.
I spend 3-4 days on a good size bathroom and can tile 20-30 m2 a day on prepped floors at ease. My quality is what gets me work though so no rush IMO. Take care lads with quality, we all find our own pace.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
speed is not the most important thing we all no that, me and my mate consider our selves very fast when the condition of the walls or floors permits it, we would'nt just throw the tiles down just to earn a fat wage , quality is upmost in our minds .
we did the house of fraser recently 600x600 no problem fixing 70 m2 each , but not all jobs would permit that amount of tiling

T

The D

Good replys lads i would be a very picky tiler i'd always use the arrows on the back to position every tiles thae same way, also i would be very fussy about lippage. Also they times i done were on square rooms no boxing or evening walls but i usually would give myself three days to do a bathroom. Well i guess i should be happy with my speed then cause i feel tiling is a job ya cant find a way to rush even if ya want to.
I think the times you have said you do the work in is about right, there may be faster tilers and there may be slower tilers but as long as you are making the right money and producing the right quality then it's all good.
over the years i have worked on all sorts of jobs some call for speed and some call for quality. i prefer to work on the jobs that call for quality but it is nice to know you can pull your finger out when it is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

hi j2 tiler, you speed is decent and if the quality matches your output, then you'll definately do well mate ;0)

i look at it this way...if you get a room full of professional experienced tilers, then there wont be much in it speed wise.

no matter what anybody says, if you do a job to a professional standard, then you can only cut a tile so quick, you can only spread tile adhesive so quick, and you can only fix the tile , so quick.... theres no myth to it, just experience, efficient working practice and concentration!!

The obsession with speed has come in from the building sites and low end commercial contracts. its about making the most money you can in the quickest time and that unfortuantely leads to sub standard work and questionable fixing techniques???

i dont care what anybody says, quality takes time...always has, always will.

Somerset
Brilliant post. Love watching everyone scratching around for their best times. Frankly, if you want quantity, a very large floor is a piece of piece to tile 140 sq m per hour......

On the other hand, it takes me a week to overboard and tile a 20 sq m bathroom - but I love to take the time to give the customer the "wow" factor, and cutting around everything (shaped ceilings, pipework, toilets, baths, etc..) can be so much more satisfying than tiling the concourse floor of Terminal 7 at Heathrow.

H

hillhead

I spent best part of a day last saturday tiling a 4m2 floor. lol.
1. Had to lift the amtico flooring that was stuck to chipboard.
2.Cut and stick down ditra and screw for peace of mind.(wait for this to dry).
3.went for breakfast.
4.Got back and started laying out and ready for action.
5.Tile it inc cutting around toilet.(polished porc 60x30 brick bond)
6.Wait for adhesive to set then grout.
7.First class job as customer agreed and a real nice days pay in my pocket.
Now this is far from quick but well paid and job finished to top spec and everyone happy.
This is what counts.
Also i think i have 2 full bathrooms and a kitchen floor on the strength of this small job.

T

The D

hi j2 tiler, you speed is decent and if the quality matches your output, then you'll definately do well mate ;0)
i look at it this way...if you get a room full of professional experienced tilers, then there wont be much in it speed wise.
no matter what anybody says, if you do a job to a professional standard, then you can only cut a tile so quick, you can only spread tile adhesive so quick, and you can only fix the tile , so quick.... theres no myth to it, just experience, efficient working practice and concentration!!
The obsession with speed has come in from the building sites and low end commercial contracts. its about making the most money you can in the quickest time and that unfortuantely leads to sub standard work and questionable fixing techniques???
i dont care what anybody says, quality takes time...always has, always will.
i sort of agree with you but just because a tiler is fast does not necessarily make him a money grabbing speed merchant OK some are but not all. some times the need to get a sweat on comes from the build program. if you are told you have 700m2 of 600x600 polished porcelain and you have 7 days to fix them in, after that the lads in the cherry pickers are in to do the lighting, then you pick a team of lads that can move.
as for sub standard work and questionable fixing techniques if you can drive a cherry picker over your tiling and non break then there is nothing wrong with you fixing techniques and ok the work is not the same standard as you may find in a 4mil privet new build but it is far from sub standard, in fact i see more
sub standard work and questionable fixing techniques from slow tilers that do nothing but domestic work as they only have the unsuspecting home owner to satisfy.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I was once thought to be a speed merchant, (by other tilers) I can still turn it on when required. I agree with previous comments. Speed should come second to quality. I recall one job in particular, a tiler I had never heard of or worked with before, was in the next bathroom to me on a site. He was telling me how good/fast he was. I have heard it all before, tilers are like fishermen (the one that got away etc.) some talk a good job. I prefare the real deal. If you can show me a good job done well, in a good time, then I will be impressed .

Anyway this guy was popping his head into my bathroom every few minutes to see how I was doing, I just plodded on. At the end of the day, he came in to my bathroom announcing "I've finished, I had maybe 10 mins tiling left to do. He then insisted I came to look at his work, so I did. My first thought was OK, this work looks alright, then I saw the mistakes, I asked him when he intended putting his borders the right way up. He had put internal/external mitres on his borders, mostly the wrong way up. He was not very happy.

My take on speed is, do not make mistakes, just do it right the first time. Measure twice cut once:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

i sort of agree with you but just because a tiler is fast does not necessarily make him a money grabbing speed merchant OK some are but not all. some times the need to get a sweat on comes from the build program. if you are told you have 700m2 of 600x600 polished porcelain and you have 7 days to fix them in, after that the lads in the cherry pickers are in to do the lighting, then you pick a team of lads that can move.
as for sub standard work and questionable fixing techniques if you can drive a cherry picker over your tiling and non break then there is nothing wrong with you fixing techniques and ok the work is not the same standard as you may find in a 4mil privet new build but it is far from sub standard, in fact i see more
sub standard work and questionable fixing techniques from slow tilers that do nothing but domestic work as they only have the unsuspecting home owner to satisfy
seen it all to often myself Dean, more often than not by tilers that have bitten off more than they can chew.

S

Spud

The speed of work comes from cutting down your wasted time,its why some tilers look like they are plodding but end up doing far more m2 than the tiler running round like a looney,loading out the night before helps,keeping you work area tidy helps ,bringing down your waste when you have a tea break or a loo break helps and cleaning your tools and work thoroughly every night all helps as this all saves valuble time that can be used for sticking tiles or grouting I believe you cant beat an early start

Reply to How quick is your tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
How quick is your tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.