Guest viewing is limited

Discuss How to build a curve or cove in a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

I was just cleaning out a few pictures and found these. This might help someone here to do something new on one of their jobs. I don't have a complete set of photos step-by-step, but this should be enough to give you the idea of what to do.

We had floated this shower (rendered) and roughed in the bench with block and mortar. We then used epoxy and bonded metal lath to the mortar on the walls in the corner. We had already figured out what kind of a radius we could get the tiles to conform to, and jigsawed a piece of scrap lumber to form the screed.

Then, we applied a scratch coat of mud to the lath as thickly as we could get to hang, roughed it up with a stucco rake and left it over night.

The gray duct tape on the walls was put along the plumb line that defined each side of the cove.

The next day, we coated the scratch coat with thinset (as a bonder) and floated the rest of the mud on the corner. I mixed this mud a little stiffer than normal so I could get it to firm up quickly and be struck off sooner.

We then gradually carved away with the screed board and reached the final shape. We aligned the edges of the screed board with the duct tape on the sides and that kept things plumb.

Once the mortar hardened, we skimmed it with thinset and then later on finished the tanking (the black stuff you see on the ceiling).

This feature in the shower took about 4 extra hours for me and my helper,and we used scrap material that was already onsite. The customer was thrilled.

Attachments

• IMG_0225 (Large).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0229 (Large).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0232 (Large).JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0223 (Large).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0222 (Large).JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 56

Reply to How to build a curve or cove in a shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views
Hello, Bought a new construction home in January 2019 in Orlando. After living in the house for...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
D
How to drill a hole in a steel bath. At 365Drills we provide either the equipment you need or...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How to build a curve or cove in a shower
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.