Discuss How to un seal & re-seal a floor once laid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tick-ticktock

Hi, please help... I have a had 30mtrs of beautiful grey polished porcelain tiles fitted in my open plan kitchen/conservatory & the tiler has done a fab job laying these tiles except he failed to seal them.

Obviously within 2 weeks marks were showing all over them... it appeared like grease marks/spots & nothing would budge them... I went on this site to find the answer & contacted the supplier to check & we have found out that they are porous. The supplier said that they have a notice beside the tiles on display indicating that they recommend sealing. As the customer ... I just chose the tiles & the tiler ordered & collected them.

Our tiler came to look at the marks & he initially said it was the 1st he had heard about polished porcelain requiring sealing etc... (this is a 30yr + experienced tiler who even worked for national heritage completing mosiac tiles in stately homes etc.. but I showed him this site & the posts which indicated the need & why you need to seal etc..

To cut a long story short he came back 3 days later with a 5lt tin of sealant & he said he would seal them now to stop any further marks appearing with a view to replacing those which were marked (approx 30tiles)

He sealed the tiles but before he commenced sealing he just used a light brush to wipe the tiles of dust & never cleaned them he just set about sealing..... he buffed them 20 mins later and told me not to step on them for 2 hours.. he said he would come back tomorrow & give them a 2nd coat.

At this stage we both spotted that the marks were not as noticeable & we both thought... wow this will probably mean that we don't need to replace the tiles after all.

When he came back the next day I stopped him from giving it a 2nd coat because there were still cloudy from the seal the day before & I was concerned that the 2nd coat may seal in this cloudyness... he re-buffed it again & then I asked him to leave it with me for a few days for me to buff again & see the end result. He then looked on the back of the sealant tin & then said... " oh, just read the instructions on the back ... we are meant to leave for 3 days before walking on or using properly ... Yep... idiot never even read before commencing ... now I am left with tiles which at night time look ok but in the day you can see footprints, trainer marks, hubbys work boot footprints etc.. & a general cloudy mucky finish... I have just rung the tiler to come back round whilst it is daylight to see the finish .... he is not happy but... I need to know if this sealant can be safely removed . the tiles cleaned thoroughly then re-sealed without doing any more damage to my tiles... please help as this tiler now tells me he didn't re-new his liability insurance as " i only do domestic work now so didn't think it mattered"... So jo public does not deserve to be protected ...arrrghhh. I want to try to avoid having them ripped up & starting again for my sake & the tilers ... any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

T

tick-ticktock

Welcome along to the forum. Do you know the name of the sealant that has been used?

Thank you for your reply... He put MPG Sealer onto the tiles. He didn't clean the tiles before sealing he just used a light brush to sweep up then sealed them.. using kitchen roll. He was going to use a roller but I stopped him after reading a thread here about the fact that a roller puts it on very thick and it takes longer to get off & extra buffing etc... he had dirty pants on with dirty knee pads, no gloves etc... so the end result/finish is .... that he has sealed a mucky floor whilst wearing mucky clothes working backwards... the more i think about it ... no wonder it looks worse... surely he should be kneeling on a sheet or something as the muck from his pants/knee pads will be under the seal too..... thanks in advance for your help & any advice on the PROPER way to remove a bad seal & reseal professionally would be gratefully received.

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome..

Do these tiles have a transit wax on them.. no amont of sealing will work till this is removed.. hence the cloudy effect you have from sealing..

The MPG is the right sealer but some polished porcelain does have this transit wax on them..

You need LTP Grimex to clean them.. use a white scotch pad to agitate with.. then rinse with plenty water.. leave to dry and then seal with MPG.. leave to dwell the stated time on the bottle and then buff off to a shine..

D

DHTiling

Some info for your tiler..

LTP Grimex

Description: LTP Grimex is the answer to stubborn grime, old layers of wax or acrylic and even rubber sole marks on terracotta and natural stone flooring. Suitable for use on glazed and unglazed tiles, this product is excellent for renovating old quarry tiles, terracotta, slate, stone, marble and stone fireplaces.

Tips: Pick this product if you have stubborn dirt and grime, greasy films, dirty grouting, old layers of acrylic sealers and wax, rubber sole marks on glazed ceramics and porcelain, old and tired looking tiled floors, soot marks on stone fireplaces...

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

LTP MPG Sealer

Description: A colourless impregnating sealer especially formulated for use on tiles that have been mechanically polished. LTP MPG maintains a highly polished finish. Ideal for use on polished marble, polished porcelain, polished granite, polished limestone and polished slate. Suitable for both wall and floor surfaces. Strongly protects against water, oil, grease and dirt. Ideal for use on granite worktops. Maintain surfaces with LTP Waxwash for floors and LTP Stonewash for walls and worktops.

Tips: Suitable for interior and exterior use.

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How to un seal & re-seal a floor once laid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
How to un seal & re-seal a floor once laid
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.