Discuss Huge problem and sleepsless night ,opinions please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Kinda new here, so hi to you all. I have been using Tops tiles flexi rapid set for years now and never had a problem ( i get a lot of work from them ,scratch each others backs ) Recent job was a 30 sq meter extension on a wooden floor with 600x600 porcelain floor tiles, builder had laid 6 mm ply and was told to bolt obviously, i was reliably informed he then relayed the floor with 18 mm ply, he then laid a electric heat mat and screeded over the top of it, made an arse of the screed lots of high and low points, anyway i then primed the screed with Bal SBR and tiled it which all turned out well.
Two months down the line and about half the tiles have popped in the central area , the tiles round the edges and those that are in the boundaries of the original building are all fine, the ones in the centre of the new extension have all popped. i Lifted a couple and could immediately tell that the ply had not been primed before screeding which the builder has now confirmed , i could lay the blame on this however when i lifted more tiles and i have noticed that while the tile adhesive has obviously been in contact with the tile (the whole area under the tile has the imprint of the back of the tile on it) ,the tile has lifted up clean with very little adhesive attached to it, any ideas why this would happen ? ive been tiling for nearly 15 years and never had a floor pop to date . When i chip away at the screed the ply underneath is very clean and intact. I'm not looking to apportion blame here but would really appreciate genuine thoughts and opinions on what has went wrong and suggestions on how to fix , thanks in advance guys/gals

W

White Room

Ok - so the Op knows - what causes thermal shock and how is it identified?

Thermal shock caused by unusually large stresses when two dissimilar materials are bonded together or are in close contact, the adhesive needs time for the moisture to remain for it to cure, any sudden heat to soon will cause the sudden loss of moisture and weaken the adhesive to point which it could become crumbly and lose it's strength.

He layed the ply ,layed the heating mat then put slc over it as advised on the instructions , he is in the building trade so he wanted to do as much himself as he could , the thermal shock theory sounds the most plausible , the problem I now have is he reakons its my fault however I believe its all been prepped wrong .I made the mistake of presuming he knew what he was doing , I came in and saw a levelled floor and used products that are reliable , not sure how to approach it all

W

White Room

Sensible suggestions so far.
I've seen poor bonds on porcelain (while of on substrate) caused by tiles being stored outside in very cold temperatures.
Think the chilled tile doesn't form a good bond with the rapidset - not long enough for the reaction to warm the porcelain, whereas the substrate is warm and porous enough.
Just a suggestion....

Again thats thermal shock due to the different temperatures, all tiles should be bought in for at least 24 hours to be climatized to the working areas.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Huge problem and sleepsless night ,opinions please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB