UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I don't want to offend the tiler but... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fizz_bosh

Hi Guys,
I hope you can help. I'vehad some moleanos limestone delivered today, I think it looks lovely, the tiler is due to start on Monday, (bathroom) & I've been thinking about trim, finish, sealing, etc etc. originally, I thought we'd have some trim fitted, & I asked him, he said yeah no prob & his quote includes materials.
But I'm having second thoughts about the trim. Thinking it will look bad Is it easy enough to finish off the tiles well & not use trim. Any suggestions on what to say to the tiler, so as not to offend him/or be too dificult?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peckers

same as above^ trims can be expensive depends on which ones were chosen, however very easy and quick to install, the labour involved to either mitre/bullnose or butt the edges and polish them is alot more time consuming and will occur an extra charge, however as previously stated it is well worth it in my oppinion. just let your tiler know asap about the changes you want to make as this would be better then him/her finding out the morning he/she is supposed to start. the trims could be returned if already purchased or used on another job unless they were a special order.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
The only way to offend a tiler is to not offer him a cup of tea every hour!
But it's always nice to be informed of any specification changes prior to starting.

i agree,if i aint been asked if i want a brew within a hour of getting there,i say
" excuse me,but me and my mate are arguing which letter comes after S in the alphabet" when they look at you like you are stupid and say" well T ofcourse" i say " no thanks,but i will have a coffee,milk no suger" ;)

ofcourse,you can always tell which customer you can have the crack with,and those you can't straight away :smilewinkgrin:

J

jonnyc

i am a bit surprised that the tiler so readily agreed to use trim.

Maybe he does not have the kit to finish with polisher.
I would not offer it at all with moleanos,but would always put in an optional cost to finish exposed edges with polisher rather than sawn edge.
By detailing etxra works you are offering, eliminates any misunderstandings at invoice.
but if my client suggested trim I would feel duty bound to explain that although it will save alot of money the overall result would not be what it could be and should be avoided.
the only time I offer trim is with travertine and then its teel square edge only.

D

DHTiling

Eh?.. neither is the face of the tile factory sealed.. that guy does not know what he is talking about.. alarm bells would be ringing for me... that stone needs to be sealed and the edges can be sealed at the same time before grouting.. it sounds to me that this guy isn't a stone fixer and deffo does not know how to work with stone..

think carefully before allowing him to install a product he knows nothing about..

sorry but i had to LOL when you typed what he said.

Reply to I don't want to offend the tiler but... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am hoping for some professional insight to a recent installation. We laid client...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had a leak from the shower to the room below. I thought it was likely the silicone seal...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place at all with this, but here goes..... I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.