UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I don't want to offend the tiler but... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

He ok'd that but said he couldnt take responsibility for any staining on those edges because they're not factory sealed.

That's just a bare faced lie! To me this would suggest he is not confident in his own ability and wants to take the easy route rather than what the customer would like and look the best. Sometimes it's hard convincing a customer that a bit of extra time and cost will really pay off on the finished product, so when a customer actually wants the extra detail we're over the moon and don't try and sway them the other way!

I'm sorry but from what you've said it seems he doesn't have an eye for detail and sees things as functional rather than beautiful.

J

jolly fix

im with Dave and Stewart,the guy does'nt seem to know how to work with stone.he may not have the right profile /polishing tools etc,but on a one off job this could be done by hand with wet and dry paper (diff gauges) and sheet sander.my profile tools were stolen just after xmas,had trav bathroom to do, all profile round the window and corner of bath panel done by hand .never use trim with stone....

D

DHTiling

judging from the internet is easy. he said he would be sealing the tiles, we get one bit of second hand info and people are wanting to chuck him of job before its even started..

If he has no idea how to finish stone edges, would you let him loose on one of your jobs.?.. or do you use trims with stone.?

There are too many would be stone installers doing work they do not have a clue about.. we only advise on what we are given info wise.. what shall we say.. oh just try him out and if he naffs it up then put it down to experience.. lol.. people come here for advice and the OP has been given that IMO.. to the best of what we can by what we have been told.

D

DHTiling

I am in the chair not the couch :lol:...

The OP said he did not like the idea of trim... we suggested other ways... these were put to the tiler and then he came up with the excuses not us..?

Any tiler worth his salt can at least hand sand stone edges to a honed finish and then light chamfer the edges... quite easy to do really... the tiler said get another tiler if that is what the OP wanted finish wise.. why not just say ok no probs.. i will adjust my price to suit the extra work and jobs a goodn..

like i said, to many talk the talk about stone installing but cannot do it... we can only suggest the best finish but i agree with you about hanging him out to dry before our suggestions are relayed back to him..

F

Fizz_bosh

Gotta say thx for all the advice. Trouble is I have only given u guys the info that to me sounds a bit dodge to me - he has given alot of sound advice & is a lovely bloke. The thought of telling him I don't want him to do the job fills me with dread. (hubby of someone I know thru work). He's booked in the week after next. He'll b pretty naffed off.
My money, my bathroom etc... I know. but it's not an easy thing to do .. :-/

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hello fizz i wouldnt worry yourself too much...im sure the guy is a nice bloke as you say ,he has also said he cant/wont do profiled edges and if thats what you want get another tiler.

if it was my job and you aproached me to do the edges some different way i would go out my way to get them done for you its all part of the job imo....some one who says go get someone else well to me it doesnt seem like they aint that bothered to be totally truthful

you have given him the chance to do it and he hasnt taken it......even if he cant do that type of work to keep the job he could have gone and sourced you a tiler who could and asked him to do that part of work for him .

you could of course re aproach him and explain the situation

F

Fizz_bosh

Hi All.
I'm going to call the filer tomorrow & say I will find someone happy to finish the edge of the stone, I don't want him to do a job he's not 100% happy to do. I missed a call from him earlier, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was calling to say he's having 2nd thought about doing it.
Any one on the south coast fancy laying some limestone ?! :)
BIG thanks to every poster. Advice has been top notch.

E

enduro

Hi All.
I'm going to call the filer tomorrow & say I will find someone happy to finish the edge of the stone, I don't want him to do a job he's not 100% happy to do. I missed a call from him earlier, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was calling to say he's having 2nd thought about doing it.
Any one on the south coast fancy laying some limestone ?! :)
BIG thanks to every poster. Advice has been top notch.

Where are you in the south?

Wish it was closer to home for me to do it...

I'd explain again everything that you want doing - and if he's not willing to do the extra (for an amended price), then advertise the job on here for someone who's experienced and enjoys doing this type of work..

I get the impression that he might prefer to skip on the job - I'd never tell a customer to find another tiler

O

Owee

Hello all
Been reading the above posts with interest and have to agree I was suprised by the number of tilers who suggested tile trims (although in my case its ceramic tiles and around a window) and many said they had never been asked to do mitre cuts in there 10-15 years of tiling and when suggested took breaths in and said ...yes can be done, i can have a go.....which doesnt fill me with confidence.
just tuppence worth....

Reply to I don't want to offend the tiler but... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am hoping for some professional insight to a recent installation. We laid client...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had a leak from the shower to the room below. I thought it was likely the silicone seal...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place at all with this, but here goes..... I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.