Discuss i had a rollocking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike

I finished this bathroom on friday for my nephew, he's made up with it, i done it cheap (well i believe so) but his mum (my sister) phoned me up this morning and had a go at me she can't believe how much i charged him for a small bathroom. she lives in a council house so she never has to pay for tradesmen so she don't know what they charge and my nephew is a train driver on 40k plus so is earning a lot more than me!
what would you guys charge for this bathroom?
i had to plasterboard 2 bath walls (stud) and dry line the window wall. i had to pull down the window header and make a frame for the new header. i rebuilt the cupboard frame under the window. i tanked the bath walls too. i had to make a frame for the bath and plasterboard it, i also laid hardie boards on the floor prior to tiling that. also i had to make the boxing for the pipework from the bath to the loo.
the tiling wasn't straight forward as the borders were 4mm thicker than the field tiles so that slowed it down. i also cut the borders into the tiles on the bath panel. i used white addy on the travertine and grey on the rest of the walls as to save money for him too. i didn't fit the loo,etc tho.
it took me 7 full days to do it with all the prep and joinery work, i'll let you know later what i've charged him. and btw i tiled my sister's bathroom a few years ago whilst working in a factory and didn't charge her. i tried explaining i cant do that any more being self-employed

Attachments

• php0ZxnGOAM.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 59
  • phpClikUPAM.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 62
  • phpome30QAM.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 67
  • phpjKDCxaAM.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 69
  • phpvCDgG5AM.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 71
  • phpVMChqTAM.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 73
S

Sean fsy

I done my mates house about 10 years ago 2 bathrooms, kitchen,utility etc didnt charge him 1p to do it. His wifes family own/run their own tarmac highways business so i asked if they could maybe sort me a drop kerb out to gain better acces onto my old houses driveway (approx cost with permission £600) I was expecting Him to say its ok we will sort it for you foc. How wrong was i, they sent a quote for £1300 !!

S

Sean fsy

I would say getting towards the 1k mark. If im doing any jobs for relatives, friend of a friend of a friend etc i always insist they get atleast 2 quotes first then see what you are up against. If they come back with a ridiculous cheapy quote i say "you best let them do the job as there is no way i can beat that" Give them a day and the phone rings "so whats your best price" every one knows what i mean.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
1k without mats would be a good price for mates rates imo.
Starting a mates bathroom tomorrow, full rip out, plumbing and full tiling.
Straight forward room layout for tiling and sanitary fixing and will be charging a grand for labour only.
All his mats are full discount so won't be making anything on them.
Whinging for all the work you did for £500 - sister or not I would tell her to do one!

Just clocked the deep reveal, boxing in and reboarding - all things to slow you up

Last edited:
M

Mike

1k without mats would be a good price for mates rates imo.
Starting a mates bathroom tomorrow, full rip out, plumbing and full tiling.
Straight forward room layout for tiling and sanitary fixing and will be charging a grand for labour only.
All his mats are full discount so won't be making anything on them.
Whinging for all the work you did for £500 - sister or not I would tell her to do one!

Just clocked the deep reveal, boxing in and reboarding - all things to slow you up
thanks macten. i think i'll show my sister this thread , maybe then she'll think different. probably not though. my nephew has also asked me to tile his kitchen walls and floor but i don't know wether to bother now

S

Sean fsy

why does every one think we are charity workers and we should do things foc or for next to nothing. we have bills to pay, tools to buy, vans to run, insurances to pay, work clothes to buy its not simply a case of profit profit profit.

£500 - £100 tax, 7 days diesel £40/£50 plus baits and probably free extras to include spacers, grout etc. drops you down to £300 for 7 days work. Does your sister work for £43 a day??

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to i had a rollocking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi All, my first post, so be gentle :) I’ve been off the tools for a number of years, but the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
i had a rollocking
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.