UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I have seen it all now!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kins73

I know there is some dislike by the 'established' tiling community to the one weekers' but having just got back from a distraught lady you have got to hear this!!
Yes I only did a weeks course at Alpine, yes I am just a beginner and yes I have lots to learn BUT what i have seen tonight is just terrible.
This lady paid 800 quid plus for porcelain floor tiles to be fitted to kitchen/diner. The tiler, experience of 25 years (apparently) wanted to use 6mm ply to overboard the floor boards. My client asked at the local tile shop with regard to this overboarding and they recommended 9mm!!
The problem is that all the grouting has cracked- I asked as to how soon it cracked after fitting and she said "the next morning". She has tried to get the tiler back to rectify the problem who has said that the cracking "is nothing to worry about" and it turns out he is from liverpool and regularly works down here in the Bristol/Bath region.
What worrys me- which is to be confirmed by a building surveyor is that to start with the ply wood boarding is totally insufficient, it should be aminimum of 12mm and should really be 18mm. The wood may not have been primed which may go someway to explain the cracking in the grout, also the most important fact is that I think he has not used a flexible adhesive and grout.
The lady showed me a tub of the adhesive which was left in the front garden with offcuts of the tiles- the tiler denied was his!! It is a product that Is certainly NOT flexible and not for floor use.
So basically I feel that someone who claims to have 25 years experience in tiling should know better, should know how to prep the substrate, should know what products to use and certainly should not let someone down in this way.
I have been asked to quote for ripping it all up and re doing it properly, which is a good for me but not great for the poor lady who feels totally ripped off.

So there are decent, proper caring tilers out there who are new but are willing to learn!!

Neil

L

Leatherface

Hiya mate - that is very poor :icon8:
Please may I also add that I have no disrespect for anyone who goes on a weeks course and has a go at setting up as a tiler. Good luck to you all - just need right attitude and attention to detail. Be willing to ask advice if unsure and do job to a good standard.
I did a 5 day course, then spent a period of time tiling weekends, evenings, holidays and sickies before I took the plunge as self employed.
I truly admire anyone that is willing to have a go :) :)

L

Leatherface

The fact remains that you have to ask...where did she get this guy from... was he recommended...probably not. Why did she pick him and not a local guy someone has used before, she probably thought the price was low and his patter was good..
An expensive lesson>

(we're not all like that from liverpool:))

Was tiling in Liverpool last year and some bugger nicked the wheels off my washboy!!!
He He :wink_smile:

K

kins73

Just to add, that I do not have a problem with people from Liverpool at all, or anywhere!!

Also the other thing that bothered me was the fact that a local, and I thought reputable tile shop was the one who recomended using 9mm ply to overboard. Obviously people who are not in the know take peoples advice as gospel and rely heavily on trust in these situations- makes me mad that tradesmen/women can sleep at night-what a world we live in.
I recently quoted a young lady to tile her hallway in a georgian flat in bath, she has the property on the market and wanted it to look nice. I had to overboard, cut around five doorways with intricate georgian architrave, prime, tile and grout, the price was £350 including all materials except the tiles. The area was only 3.75 square meters but in terms of time it was a lot of cutting and preparation, I didn't get the job because it was too expensive. She asked me if I could get away with just using the hardboard that was on the floor instead!! The answer was a definate NO!
I was kind of glad not to get the job because she wanted it cheap, I wanted to do it properly!!:wink_smile:

Still, u can't get all the jobs from quotes, and i dare say there are jobs that you don't want to do at all!!

Hooray for honest tilers, be they time served or 5 dayers!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I have seen it all now!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL...
Replies
Views
My tiler has made a huge mistake (which he excuses as being unlucky with measurements). There is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.