UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss I kid you not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Tonight I got a call from a potential client. They got my name from my website ( Yay for websites, they do work.). This guy was about 18 miles away and needed my urgent assistance ( His words).
Seems they had problems with the house they had bought. They had let an uncle lose doing lots of work. It also seems that the Uncle is a man of all trades but master of none. All around the house I was shown his mess, from broken doors to holes in new walls .
But i was there to see a bathroom that this guy had tiled. I was told that it was a complete mess before I got there but was I in for a suprise !
This guy was using ceramic 400x250 tiles in a portrait mode and he started full tile from the floor and ended up full tile to the ceiling........well he did in one area ! The floor sloped away and the ceiling was unlevel so he had up to 15 gaps around both ceiling and floor. He grouted the gaps in with Palace while grout and the grey grout ( which was supposed to be black to match the floor tiles) was in between the gap along the bottom of the wall tiles.
While i was there with mouth open, not beleiving what i was seeing. I came across these bags of grout, small bags too, indicating that he had got them from a DIY chain, he had also got metal trim but only in 6ft lengths. So he joined 2 pieces to the one external edge of the bathroom walls. Unfortunately the metal edge was proud at the join of about 5mm. It was a hazard that could have easily caused a nasty cut.
While i was picking up on all the things this guy had done wrong from setting out, to the the trim ,lack of any attempt to give a uniform joint, no cleaning down of grout, the use of cardboard in some joints ( Still showing in places) and then joints not meeeting up in the corners. I asked what adhesive the guy had used.......the wife replied " oh he didnt use tile adhesive, he said it was rubbish and said the best thing was.....No Nails !!!"
So they have kicked the guy off the job now and want it put right. Now having already spent about £1000 on tiles, I was expecting them to ask if i could sort it cheaply but No ! They were all ready expecting to strip it right back, get plasterers in if needed and plumbers to remove all fittings. he also said to the Uncle that he wanted the floor boards replacing before the tiles were laid. the uncle said that it wasnt needed....god knows what he laid those with!
So after an hour I gave my views and all was taken on board, I said that i would only do the job if I had a blank canvas to work from and that i could overboard the floor before tiling. I also suggested that the boards come up and be replaced with 18mm wbp ply while this was all going on. Expecting the guy to throw a wobbly I was a little shocked when he said " when can you start, You have said everything I wanted to hear as I have been on line lately reading all about tiling.......on tilersforums !!!!" :thumbsup:

I havent told him who I am yet :smilewinkgrin:

Big up the tilers forums!

I did a quote a couple of months back for a customer and when i got there 2 walls were a bit of a mess. Told them the cheapest option was to dry line the walls. Gave them a good plasterers No. and said give him a call.

She totally ignored my advice and got a plasters number off the internet. He came round and told her a coat of bonding will be fine and bonded the two bad walls in question. I rang her to check how the job was going and she said its all good, been dry lined like you said. So i went round to check and found the walls coated in bonding:mad2:.
I explained the dangers and problems of bonding coats and tiling but i dont think she really believed me.
This is where the forum comes in! Told her to come to this site and type in bonding coats and tiling in the search bar and left her with it.
Got a call about three hours later telling me she's getting the walls proprely plastered and that i was right about the bonding and its not worth the risk.

If customers understand what your saying they are happy to pay!

Tilers forums gives you this advice. :thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

I have always said that its more the client that needs educating not the tiler.

Couldn't agree more mate, not just with tiling but with any trade. I think the internet will have a lot to do with improving the construction trade, not only developing trades but customers with a bit of savvy can easily check up on info supplied by their potential tradesmen, and hopefully sniff out the conmen... just like in your case:hurray:

G

Gazzer

The internet is a powerful tool and will only get bigger and bigger. Gone are the days of the likes of Yellow pages and Thompson. I always ask where the client found my details. It used to be word of mouth or a tile shop recomended me....these days through the internet is getting very popular.
Last year I tried a new advertising campaign with a major company, almost £700 for 2 years....since last september.....one phone call, and i didnt get that job. A few months later my £50 website went online and its more than paid for itself. I just wish now that I had been able to have a better site.

Reply to I kid you not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m in a bit of a pickle. I hired a tiler to do our tiling and initially he told us...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.