UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss i need help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kev j

i finished a ensuite for a bathroom company last november ,some of the cuts were a little suspect but the company said its not worth taking the tiles off as it would be to much of a job ,but i said i would put the work right at my own cost ,the company said we will see what the customer thinks when the sanitary wear is in and job is all finished ,customer from hell is not satisfied and has refused to pay for the tiling work even though i have said i will put it right , does anyone have any idea on where i stand on this matter regards the company not paying me ,thanks

O

Olz

If you thought the cuts were in your own word suspect you should have insisted on changing them at the time and not be talked out of it by the company.

You must not have been totally happy at the time or you wouldn't have even mentioned it to the company.

The company doesn't sound to great either reading from your post if they thought changing them was too much hassle and would see what the customer thought when the sanitary wear was in.

Sounds a bit like they knew it wasn't spot on but didn't want it redone spot on and wanted to see if they could get away with it.

Now it seems they haven't as now it's all in the customer is indeed not happy.

It's either not right or a 'bit suspect' or it's correct, of it's the former I'd be working with the customer to remedy it ASAP.

Its a civil matter but if even you think it was a bit suspect to use your own words then if you dig your heels in it seems likley that an independent expert would also draw the same conclusion and any court would side with the customer.

Do the company accept they said it was OK to leave it in that way, if they do why arent they paying you, or are they know denying the conversation ever took place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike Mike

seeing them monday ,but expect they will say the conversation ever took place to leave the tiles in ,surely the company are wrong for saying to the customer we,ll see what it looks like when all finished ,one other thing ,the tiles where 600 by 600 porcelain and i put them on painted walls at the kitchen companys instructions ,makes you wonder how long they will hang up ,thanks again

Kev, if you were sub-contracting to this bathroom or kitchen company (as opposed to just being an employee) then there is an onus on YOU to perform a safe, and quality job, irrespective of what they request you to do (you can, and in law would be expected to, say "NO!" when the requests would cause you to breach standards or perform an unsafe job).

I really don't like the sound of 600 x 600 porcelain tiles onto painted walls, and clearly neither do you.

If they fall off the wall and injure someone laying in the bath then it will be down to YOU as the tiler, not the bathroom company.

If people who are not professional tilers try and get you to perform work which you know, as a professional tiler, is wrong, then for God sake don't do it. Say no, and if they ask you leave, then LEAVE!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
my take on it Kev is,,,if you're not happy with the job, stay till you are, you knew that some cuts were "suspect", put in the extra yard and get them right. Doing it right will only enhance your reputation, walking away from a job that you know is not what you'd expect in your own house will only damage your reputation.

I'm with Doug on this. No one is perfect and sometimes we cut a tile that isn't right but as soon as you put it in place it's obvious that it's "suspect". There's no easier time to change a tile than when the addy is still wet and trying to cut corners or keeping your fingers crossed that the customer won't notice will only cause problems like this. Valuable lesson learnt me thinks. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I don't mean to and I hope you can get this issue sorted mate.

just seen one of your last posts.... 600's on painted walls??? Seriously you should have walked if they won't let you prep it right, that's some serious weight that could fall on someone

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to i need help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently carried out work on tiling a fireplace for customer. I took my time and got the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.