Discuss I predict a riot in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Yeah all the talking about it on here wont do much until society reaches a tipping point (a bit like the riots did) and then everyone will start acting a bit different about it! Peoples fuses are getting shorter and shorter! , when you turn on the news, its all bad really for the last god knows how long!! I really feel we are reaching a tipping point in this country and its all about to hit the fan.

Your right though, look after yourself and your family, its all you can do!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
to be fair,the whole country is a joke,and each and everyone of us on here are living week to week,and working hard to get it.

as ive said before,my eldest left school with nothing much,couldent be bothered,but is not thick by any means. she went out(i told her,like my dad told me when i left school,we,her parents have kept her long enough,now look after yourself,altough,we obviously have help out with house,but that was to get rid:hurray:)got herself off her own back a decent job,also works in a bar at weekend. i truly believe most of these kids need a good slap,a bit of discipline:smilewinkgrin:

jesus, just seen the pakistanni chap who lost his boy in the riots,now that man is a good good man

U

user123

How about sending them overseas for a year to help out with aid in countries that really don't have the opportunities they claim not to have? This would be after tallying up the cost of the damage done along with extra policing costs and giving them a bill for their share. Maybe then they just might learn the value of a pound.

That's a really REALLY good point. I grew up a pharmacist's and draughtman engineer's daughter in a safe village where basically I thought water, hot or cold just somehow came out the tap, totally took things for granted. My parents' moaning about some bills didn't make much sense to me as I then saw them spend money on what I considered really silly, like a 'quiet' toilet, or yet another new rug, I just didn't get all that grown up money malarkey, was just always told that only poor people get into debt and agree to daft things like HP. Like a lot of middle class families there was a lot of snobbery I didn't like, but wasn't in the position to say anything about, as I really didn't understand, I hadn't gone through any kind of shortage, through any war, any material hardship, had a warm bed in a semidetached house in a quiet street.

Then, at 17, I decided to go interrailing with one of my best friends, we packed a 40lb (!!!) backback we could hardly lift, off through, France, Spain and eventually Morocco where my whole world changed. Met some student boys who went volunteering in some slum outside Rabat, we went with them and spent a few weeks in this slum, got covered if flees and flies, didn't have a clue where to get clean water from, we drank from pots in the road evrybody drank from, including dogs, and didn't think of getting out of there either, when you are young it's all just one big adventure, still cushioned by this history of comfort. Seemed a bit like a game at first. The people were lovely, no suspicion, just curiousity, warmth and wanting handfulls of my then sunbleached hair and the children took it in turns sitting on my lap poking my face and giggling. One evening we got invited in one of the bigger corrugated iron huts, it had electricity and TV and guess what, Dallas was on. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. There were these 20 or so absolutely stone poor people huddled around one TV watching Dallas with big eyes, the comparison between the two worlds was just staggering and it hurt like an arrow in the heart and suddenly this whole water thing, that it doesn't just come out of the tap for some bur for some it comes out of gold tabs really hit home. I felt no bitterness or resentment about it coming from the families watching, just thought of wonder, and the whole time I felt absolutely safe. What made me personally feel really sick inside was the fact that there was an American owned tyre company some of these children as young as 6 worked in, with absolutely now safety precautions, for half a drham per day which was just enough to buy themselves one breakfast per week, not a full English, just some bread and honey and tea. While we were there one of the little boys, ages I would guess between 6 and 8 lost his lower arm in a cutting machine, and there was nothing but for the family to do but feel sorry for him, and look after the bandages as best as possible.

When it was already way past our interrail ticket return dates and we had to get back, my friend and I got changed in the Rabat trainstation toilet, and washed, it was pretty clean there, first running water we had had for ages, I just kept staring at it as if it was a miracle. We were just repacking out backpacks and this tourist woman and her little daughter came in the ladies, and the little girl wanted to wash her hands, and we heard the mother say "don't touch that tap and the water, it's dirty" My friend and I just looked at each other, we were so stunned as suddenly the two worlds collided in our heads, and it was tough, we were kind of close to tears and laughing at the same time. With all the TV showing of poverty and hunger in the world, nothing compares to direct experience, and Sandy is dead right, anyone experiencing it does learn the value of the pound, of food, of water, of medicine, of a dentist who can give you a clean anaesthetic with a needle that doesn't have Hepatitis B written all over it. And really living with Saad's family in Giza wasn't that different.

Yes, anyone, however old they are, should really go to parts in the world where survival really means survival, not getting the latest android phone, and feel the joy and dignity nevertheless present in the people there for absolutely anything they can make happen. Needless to say I was never the same since. Thank God.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

Oh, and back to the riot, I don't know how many of you know about this man who arranged the clean-up volunteer 'movement' after the riot, for some reason I got wind of it on the first day it happened on twitter, and it was amazing to witness, the posts and dedicated practical help that came in from all over the place, here is a newspaper clip from the new york times writing about it, I wish the media here had mentioned it all more that it seemed (to me) to have done.

Riots Spread on Social Media, as Does the Cleanup - NYTimes.com

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to I predict a riot in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I just set new porcelain 8 x 8 tile in my rear entryway (3 ft x 3 ft area). I love the results...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
I predict a riot
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.