Discuss Identifiying different types of travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

meansmee

This one is now still going to be ongoing as I have a mate who is a tiler and was around last night. He said the travertine I have is the worst he has ever seen (the shop told me I was getting first grade) and even though they said I could pick a batch from the warehouse from what he told me and a sample I have now got from another supplier the quality is nowhere near first grade travertine. There are holes the size of a 50p full of filler.
I fell like they have just tried to rip me off as I dint have a clue about the difference in quality when I first ordered so going to give them a ring and see if they will refund me and go buy it from an honest supplier. What do u think my chances are of getting a refund?

Below is a pic of the stuff I was supplied (that int the worst of it just a bit that had broken off ) and a sample I picked up from a different supplier of what they sell as first grade. The sample I got is a few quid a meter more but I don’t mind paying when I am getting a superior product.

trav(Medium).JPG

T

tfs

the one on the right is basicaly a promo tile. The stone is graded during manufacture amd then all left overs are filled with a resin and sold on. Some salesmen will try and say that this adds charachter to a tile but in truth it is poor quality and very vulnerable to breaking.

The variation in each tile can be substantial and the unfilled holes on the back of the tile are excessive in most cases.

Over time all the resin is very likely to become loose and although this is common in travertine it is more extreme with low grade trav.

You were not given top grade, unfortunatly you were given scrap and if it was me I would have asked for a refund and taken my money elsewhere as if what you say is true, they ahve been dishonest and tried to take advantage of you.

Sorry if I come across as negative but, I think your supplier has tried yto pull a fast one if they told you the tile on the left was first grade.

Im glad you got it sorted!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

Yes, the one on the right is a promo tile, which realy means it should be sold as a promotion of some sort due to inferior quality.

To determine the quality of travertine you are looking at the level of fillers used in the stone, this includes the colour too. When fillers are used they should realy be as close to the colour of the stone as possible in better grades. Transparent/ brownish types of filler dont look great in most travertine.

You should also look at the pits/ holes in the back of the tile. The less, the better. These holes get filled with you adhesive when installing the tile, your tiler will skim the back of all tiles to ensure that they are filled and fit them on to a bed of adhesive. It is reccomended to use white adhesive for this to help eliminate the chances of darker adhesives coming through the stone.

Although it is very true to say that shade will be different in natural products I would reccomend that you look out for excessive shade variation as this can be an indication of low grade tiles.

Hope this helps

hope you get it all sorted out

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Not heard of this promotion grade..:)

That off cut/broken piece is a Low grade classic travertine.. Eco grade is the term and as tfs stated full of filler.. and will wear quickly on floors..

A good quality honed travertine should have minimal filler and if any , then it should be no bigger than a small finger nail in size .. the less filler the better the quality..

Too many company's are selling stones and passing them off as premium grades when they are NOT!!.. Some customers see a nice cheap price and think stone is stone and higher prices are just ripping them off etc.. then when they get problems with popping filler then the tiler gets the blame.... Cheap means Cheap..

My stone supplier will not sell lower grades to try and compete with these online sellers who push what ever they can buy cheap and pass on quickly.. Always try and use a reputable supplier or best of all a recommended one..

Good luck on getting this refund and choosing a better grade..

Reply to Identifiying different types of travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So i'm looking for some advice on laying travertine DIY. Here is the situation: 38...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Identifiying different types of travertine?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks