UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Im not a professional tiler by any stretch of the imagination as...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

.........I have only really started this year, installing bathrooms and tiling, I am learning, and thank god for this site, so i thought I would post pictures of a job I did for my mate, the biggest job ive done so far, and the first time ive fixed 300x600's. i hadn't owned a large tile cutter so a lot of the cuts I had to do with a wet cutter, but Im pretty proud of my efforts. But i am amazed at some of the jobs ive seen on here, very envious at what you guys can achieve. I would love to spend a week with one of you just to see how its really done.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 141
C

carlito

Quality Ian mate. I've just started this yr as well. I'm in the same position as you, done a few jobs i will put up on here over crimbo. It seems a right ball ache gettin someone to accept the free or cheap labour in exchange for some experience. Its as though some think that if we cant get to watch someone we will end up leaving the trade and there will be more jobs for them. But we are here for the long haul! Anyway off to go do some brick pattern for the 1st time. Wish me luck!

Quality Ian mate. I've just started this yr as well. I'm in the same position as you, done a few jobs i will put up on here over crimbo. It seems a right ball ache gettin someone to accept the free or cheap labour in exchange for some experience. Its as though some think that if we cant get to watch someone we will end up leaving the trade and there will be more jobs for them. But we are here for the long haul! Anyway off to go do some brick pattern for the 1st time. Wish me luck!

I’m not sure that mightbe the reason some wont take on anyone even free or cheap. As for myself, I wouldn’twant to put some effort into training someone and have them take off on thereown after a short time. Then it would beas the member said in the thread you refer to. End up with competition thatwill be semi or little trained charging very little and give the client areally shoddy job.
And I’m not talking about a few lippy tiles orirregular cutting. That’s easily fixed. But It’s the poor prep, incompatiblematerials, and sub-standard applications and technique that only come from askilled Tiler.
This doesn’t happenevery time but a half cocked Tiler can do a lot of harm to the industry veryquickly.
But I’m sure that if youintend to stay around like you say, and you hang out with the guys here, someone may give you a chance.
But don’t forget, even if you do a day now and again for free. For the Tiler who is good enough to expose you to some valuable knowledge, It will still cost him in time to show you and teach you which most of us don’t mind doing. Its still time he’s not producing.
Most of all, focus on what you can contribute to both the Tiler whose teaching you and the Tiling Industry as a whole.
But if you want to make heaps of money very quickly then Yes you “will end up leaving the trade and there will be more jobs for them” that are in it for the long haul, they wouldhave done the hard yards over time ,who may have startedjust like you. So hang in there, we do want you to succeed, but we want to see how bad you want it:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I

ian158

Looks amazing Ian, do you work on your own?

I do full bathroom refits as well, hard graft though on these big jobs.

Yep I work on my own, i only get in a mate on the initial rip outs to help out, 1 or 2 days, as I hate clearing up ! But in reality im quoting around £*** a day but i more often than not go over by 1 or 2 days so day rate becomes less ! some say im too cheap, but im quoting against others and im not far off, and in some cases more expensive, Im either too slow or the others are mega quick ! bearing in mind Im doing everything for that rate, be it plastering, prep, plumbing and tiling, dont know what you guys think on the rate ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ian158

I would understand if I was to ask someone local to spend a week watching, but I would prefer further a field so there is no question of "nicking there work" so to speak. Its just the cuts I need to spruce up on and how to overcome certain things, ive made mistakes, and some stupid, just through rushing and not thinking but getting there, no major ***** up as yet though !

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Yep I work on my own, i only get in a mate on the initial rip outs to help out, 1 or 2 days, as I hate clearing up ! But in reality im quoting around £*** a day but i more often than not go over by 1 or 2 days so day rate becomes less ! some say im too cheap, but im quoting against others and im not far off, and in some cases more expensive, Im either too slow or the others are mega quick ! bearing in mind Im doing everything for that rate, be it plastering, prep, plumbing and tiling, dont know what you guys think on the rate ?

I give a set labour price and estimated materials, that way its less stressful for me as it keeps the customer from worrying about how much they will be charged, have done at least 25 full bathrooms so I know roughly how long it will take.
I don't think we can discuss prices on here though, maybe because it leads to too many arguments?

They let you on the plumbers forum though! :prrr:

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ian158

Not too bad. I'm being picky, but trying to help :)
Look at the reflection of the window in pic 2 as compared with pic 4. You have to stand back every now and then and inspect your work.
Having said that, the floor looks pretty neat.
Did you replace the W/C inlet?

Ken

not sure what you mean regards refection, inlet was existing, he was going to paint it dark brown. i suggested chrome but he didnt want it.

P

paul flight

dont expect other tradesman to help other than on here . they are to buzy earning a living !!the work is out there . the more you do the better you get . experience is learnt not give away for nowt!!!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Im not a professional tiler by any stretch of the imagination as...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Ok. Basically am i tilng right/prepping correctly? Full time professional tiler, nearly 15...
Replies
Views
A
Hello all I’m looking for any help I can get I really want to start a new career in tiling I...
Replies
Views
A
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
new to this forum, Just wondering if any of you guys can give me any advice on a job im about to...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Im not a professional tiler by any stretch of the imagination as......
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.